- Mar 6 Founders Day
- Mar 7 Macalester Orchestra Concerto Concert
- Mar 8 Chopin Society presents pianist Nelson Goerner
- Mar 31 Inaugural Lecture of Thomas Halverson, DeWitt Wallace Professor of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science
- Apr 11 Macalester Concert Choir and Highland Camerata
- Apr 12 Chopin Society presents pianist Yevgeny Sudbin
- Apr 12 Wind Ensemble Concert
- Apr 14 Global Citizens Celebration
- Apr 17 Chamber Ensemble Concert
- Apr 19 Early Music Ensemble Concert
A Recital of New Music by Randy Bauer March 1 at Macalester
February 19, 2013
CATEGORY: College Newswire
St. Paul, Minn. – Randy Bauer will present a recital of new music Friday, March 1, at 8 p.m., Mairs Concert Hall, 1600 Grand Ave., St. Paul. The concert is free and open to the public. For more information call 651-696-6808.
This is a composition concert featuring recent works of Bauer’s, including “Duo in Three Parts" for violin and cello, and “Patterns of Behavior” for piano trio, performed by faculty from several area colleges, including violinist Tarn Travers and cellist Eric Kutz, Luther, pianist Esther Wang, Gustavus Adolphus, and violinist Francesca Anderegg, St. Olaf.
An assistant professor of music at Macalester, Bauer is an accomplished composer and jazz pianist. His compositions have received several major awards, including three ASCAP/Morton Gould awards. Groups such as the Brentano String Quartet, eighth blackbird, Nash Ensemble of London, Synergy Vocals, New Millennium Ensemble, Network for New Music and many others have premiered his works in the U.S., Europe and Russia.
ASCAP (the Young Jazz Composer Awards), DownBeat, the Commission Project, and the Jazz Composers Alliance have all recognized Bauer’s work. He has appeared with several prominent jazz musicians, and recently recorded two complete albums of all-original jazz compositions with Andrew Rathbun, Jeff Hirshfield, and Scott Lee.
Macalester College, founded in 1874, is a national liberal arts college with a full-time enrollment of 2,035 students. Macalester is nationally recognized for its long-standing commitment to academic excellence, internationalism, multiculturalism and civic engagement. Learn more at macalester.edu.