- Apr 24 Spring Dance Concert
- Apr 25 Spring Dance Concert
- Apr 25 Macalester Orchestra Spring Concert
- Apr 26 Pipe Band Concert
- Apr 27 Pop and Jazz Combos Concert
- Apr 28 The Macalester Viol Consort Presents a Lunch Concert
- May 1 Opening reception for the Senior Thesis Show
- May 1 Off-Kilter Spring Concert
- May 2 African Music Ensemble Concert
- May 3 Have a Folktastic Time with Flying Fingers!
Students in Professor Megan Vossler’s Expanded Drawing and Mixed Media class presented their first projects recently. In this Studio Arts course Vossler asks her students to create their projects using more than a pencil and paper. “Thinking of something as a ‘drawing’ involves directly expressing a thought using simple materials,” says Vossler. “This definition can incorporate both traditional and nontraditional art materials.”
For instance, for this first project students were asked to take apart any object, make sketches of it in a destroyed state, then build a new project based on the sketches. For the final recreations, students used such diverse materials as filmstrips, papier-maché, nuts and bolts, and cut-up cardboard.