- Feb 28 Staged Reading: "For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf"
- Mar 6 Founders Day
- Mar 7 Macalester Orchestra Concerto Concert
- Mar 8 Chopin Society presents pianist Nelson Goerner
- Mar 31 Inaugural Lecture of Thomas Halverson, DeWitt Wallace Professor of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science
- Apr 11 Macalester Concert Choir and Highland Camerata
- Apr 12 Chopin Society presents pianist Yevgeny Sudbin
- Apr 12 Wind Ensemble Concert
- Apr 14 Global Citizens Celebration
- Apr 17 Chamber Ensemble Concert
This month, Macalester marked new milestones in the Annual Fund and at Reunion, thanks to its network of alumni, parents, and friends.
The college’s Annual Fund staff closed a successful fiscal year on May 31 and set a new record by raising more than $3.7 million, which is $82,000 higher than this year’s goal and $300,000 more than last year’s total.
The Annual Fund’s total number of donors also increased, while the alumni participation rate remained constant at 38 percent. This year’s keys to success included a strong phone campaign, a record-setting 63 percent participation in the Senior Class Gift, and increases in both leadership-level gifts and gifts from parents of Macalester students and alumni.
“The Annual Fund provides Macalester’s operating budget with the vital flexibility to respond to our students’ needs,” Macalester President Brian Rosenberg said. “We are so grateful for the alumni, parents, and friends who showed their support for Macalester students this year through their Annual Fund gifts.”
Overall giving totaled $13.7 million from 12,143 donors. That total includes more than $3 million directed toward the studio art renovation and expansion in the Janet Wallace Fine Arts Center. To date, the college has raised more than $6.7 million of the $7.5 million goal for the project.
The books closed on the fiscal year on June 6, the same day that alumni began arriving on campus for Reunion. This year’s celebration set another record: More than 1,460 alumni and their families registered in advance for Reunion events, with especially strong participation from the Classes of 1973 and 2008.