Read the recent stories about Macalester College and its people we've bookmarked
- 2016 Midwest Energy News 40 Under 40 | Midwest Energy News | September 2016
Midwest Energy News’ 40 Under 40 award program highlights emerging leaders throughout the region and their work in America’s transition to a clean energy economy. One of those who made the list was Julia Eagles '06, Public Policy and Strategy Manager, Xcel Energy.
- Who Inspires You? | Amstat News - American Statistical Association | September 1, 2016
Who inspired you to be a statistician? Have you ever had a mentor? We asked some of our members these questions and here is how they responded. Amelia McNamara '10 was one of those interviewed. In the piece, she mentioned Math professor Chad Higdon-Topaz. She was an English and math double major and is currently a statistics professor at Smith College.
- Our year in the BWCA reinforced the critical need to protect it from proposed sulfide mining | MinnPost | September 30, 2016
Minnesota’s Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCA) is one of the most spectacular places in America, a wild landscape of lakes, streams, forests, wetlands and wildlife covering 1.1 million acres along the Canadian border. We just finished spending an entire year in this wild treasure to raise awareness of a major threat to the health of the BWCA – a Chilean mining company wants to build a massive sulfide-ore copper mine nearby. The proposed Twin Metals Minnesota mine site is along the South Kawishiwi River, which is adjacent to – and upstream of – the wilderness. This article was co-written by Dave and Amy Freeman '04.
- Female farmers suffer most in Southern Africa drought | Al Jazeera English | September 30, 2016
William Moseley is a Professor of Geography at Macalester and, currently, visiting fellow at the Institute for Advanced Study, University of Minnesota. His latest book is "Land Reform in South Africa: An Uneven Transformation." Rachel Fehr '16 was a double major in geography and economics, with a concentration in African Studies. She spent part of 2015 doing fieldwork in Botswana with Moseley.
- Milkweed to publish memoir of Minn. couple who spent entire year in Boundary Waters | Star Tribune | September 29, 2016
Dave and Amy Freeman '04 spent an entire year living in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. The couple returned last week. "Our exit from the Wilderness today is bittersweet," Amy Freeman said in a press release. "We love this place and honestly wouldn't mind staying a bit longer, but we are eager to catch up with family and friends." The Freemans were named the 2014 National Geographic Adventurers of the Year.
- 12 Best Liberal Arts Colleges For International Students: Why Say No To STEM | FORBES | September 28, 2016
Macalester came in at #10, and Steve Colee, Director of International Admissions, was mentioned.
- New Young Adult Bible Study Offers Fresh Perspective on Faith and Gender | PR Web | September 27, 2016
Hannah Rasmussen '14 has written a new book titled, "Good News about Gender." Designed for group study, the book offers an alternative to many evangelical Christian books for young adults, which Rasmussen says often focus exclusively on Bible reading, prayer, or dating.
- How a tiny Afghan restaurant became unlikely hub for Twin Cities jazz scene | Star Tribune | September 23, 2016
After 9 p.m. nearly every Thursday since June 2014, the Khyber Pass Cafe near Macalester College in St. Paul has presented music bristling with risk, adventure and spontaneous improvisation. It doesn’t take much time spent with Emel Sherzad '89, who owns the Khyber Pass with his wife, Masooda, to understand how he became the spiritual shepherd for this weekly adventure.
- 2016’s Best & Worst States for Teachers | Wallethub | September 26, 2016
Wallethub asked a panel of experts to weigh in on teacher-related issues and offer advice to both job seekers and local policymakers. One of those experts was Educational Studies professor Brian Lozenski.
- John Taft: In George Latimer, a leadership lesson | Pioneer Press | September 22, 2016
Former Macalester Trustee John Taft wrote this opinion about George Latimer, Emeriti Faculty, Geography.
As tracked by Macalester College at pinboard.in.