First-Year Students Course Selection
Step 1: Rank your top 4 First-Year Courses
- Check out the list of First-Year Courses
- Rank First-Year Course preferences from 1 to 4.
- List these four on the top of the Fall Course Registration Choices form in rank order. The form is available in the New Student Portal http://admissions.macalester.edu/newstudentportal.
- Provide any special considerations in the comments section, including anticipated credit from AP/IB exams, majors/minors you are considering, etc.
- You will be enrolled in one of the four listed. Once you are placed in a First-Year Course, no changes can be made, so be certain you are content with any of the four courses listed.
- You will be notified in late July 2019 via email as to which First-Year Course you have been enrolled.
Step 2: Select 13 other courses
- Find courses in fields you are considering. Check out the Department and Program Recommendations for First-Year Students.
- Read about the best ways to explore the major, minor, or concentration as well as information on placement. Contact information is provided for each department and program should you have questions.
- Take a look at the Fall 2019 Class Schedule https://www.macalester.edu/registrar/schedules/2019fall/class-schedule/ to find out what courses are offered. Find out about a course’s prerequisites and course sequencing in the College Catalog.
- One course in your first semester must carry a argumentative writing (WA) or writing as craft (WC) designation. Most First-Year Courses will carry this designation, but be sure to include courses with this designation in your list of 13, especially if all four of your First-Year Course choices are not WA or WC designated.
- Select 13 courses and rank them from 1 to 13. These should be different courses, not just different sections of the same course.
- List these 13 courses on the Fall Course Registration Choices form in rank order. The form is available in the New Student Portal, http://admissions.macalester.edu/newstudentportal.
- Provide any special considerations in the comments section, including anticipated credit from AP/IB exams, majors/minors you are considering, etc. Also include which alternate sections of courses are acceptable.
- The Registrar’s staff will do its best to enroll you in your top choices, but there may be instances where demand exceeds available spaces. Know we will not place you in a course that is not on your list.
- Submit the Fall Course Registration Choices form by June 24, 2019. The form is available in the New Student Portal, http://admissions.macalester.edu/newstudentportal
- You will receive your complete schedule when you meet with your advisor at Orientation. You may amend your schedule during that meeting.
Academic Programs and Advising