About My Room/The Residence Halls


ID card/Money/Mail

Orientation Leaders/Contacts


About my room/The Residence Halls

Already in the Room…

  • Bed
  • Desk
  • Chair
  • Bookcase
  • Dresser

back to top

Don't Bring…

  • Air conditioner
  • Extra furniture
  • Pets
  • Halogen lamps
  • Hot plate
  • Open coil heater
  • Toaster oven
  • Microwave
  • Answering machine
  • Modem
  • Candles
  • Incense

back to top

When do I find out who my roommate is?

The Department of Residential Life will send out an email in early August that will inform you of your roommate(s), their email address, home city, state, and country (if applicable). We suggest you contact your roommate before move in day in order to ease your transition to Macalester.

back to top

When can I move in?

You can move into the dorms beginning August 31, 2017.  If you are a student athlete or you are participating in a leadership and/or pre-orientation program that requires early arrival, consult your coach or program leader for move in dates.

back to top

Should I buy all the things for my room before I get to Macalester, or are there places nearby that I can purchase things?

If you don’t want to purchase things before you get to campus, stores like Target, Wal-Mart, grocery stores, and a hardware store are just a quick car or bus ride away!

back to top

Shipping your things to campus

Ship to the following address:

Your Name
Macalester College
1600 Grand Avenue
Saint Paul, MN 55105-1899

When you arrive to campus, you can go to Mailing Services located on the lower level of the Campus Center with your MacID to receive your packages. For more information contact Mailing Services, 651-696-6294.

back to top

Property Insurance

If you would like insurance coverage for your personal possessions while you are at Macalester contact:
National Student Services, Inc,
P.O. Box 2137,
Stillwater, OK 74076.
Or apply on line at www.nssi.com
Policies cover theft, fire, water damage, and breakage to personal property.

back to top

Telephone and Voice mail

Public access telephones are available on each floor of each residence hall, college-owned house and apartment. Upon request, a phone (with or without voice mail) can be installed in your residence hall room at no charge. If you are interested in having a phone in your room, check out the 11 Things students should know about their on-campus telephone and voice mail service before completing and submitting the student telecom request form. Visit the online directory for student, faculty, and staff contact information. Contact Telecommunications at or 651-696-6566 with questions.

back to top


What should I do if I have a question about a class I’m interested in?

A description of regularly offered classes are included in the Course Catalog. To find information about any other classes, visit the Registrar’s website at http://www.macalester.edu/registrar/. If you have a more specific question, feel free to call or e-mail the professor that teaches that class.

back to top

When will I find out what classes I’m signed up for, and what happens if I want to change them?

You will receive a copy of your schedule when you arrive on campus. Although you are able to access your schedule via 1600grand, none of your classes are final until Orientation except your First-Year Course. In late July, information will be emailed to you regarding your First-Year Course and advisor. First-Year Courses cannot be changed once they are assigned. While preference is given to your top ranking, it is nearly impossible to give everyone their first choice. Completion of a First-Year Course is mandatory for graduation from Macalester, and therefore you are not able to drop or withdraw from it. You will meet with your advisor during Orientation to make any other changes necessary to your class schedule.

back to top


Where can I find my ID number?

Before you arrive on campus and receive your Mac ID card, you can find your 9-digit ID number on 1600grand.

Click the Academics tab. In the upper right corner under Academic Records, click Academic Transcript.

In the upper right corner, your name and ID number appears just above today's date.

back to top

What is my mac id used for?

Your Macalester ID is your official campus photo identification card. You should carry it with you at all times when you are on campus. It is also is used as your:

  • Campus dining card. You are required to bring your ID card or virtual ID via GET Mobile to Café Mac in order to gain access to the cafeteria.
  • Library card.
  • Access card to the Leonard Center Athletic & Wellness Complex and some other spaces on campus.
  • Laundry card. All laundry is done using your Mac ID. Leave your quarters at home! Instead, in order to do laundry, you will need to add Mac Money to your Mac ID.
  • Your Mac ID can also be used to make purchases at campus venues and some off-campus businesses.  A complete list of businesses  can be found on our website. 

back to top

Can I submit my ID photo online?

Beat the long wait in the ID photo line!

All new students are encouraged to upload an ID photo prior to arriving at Macalester for orientation in August.

If the Card Services Office approves the uploaded photo, your Mac ID will be made and ready for pick up during orientation! No need to wait in line to get a photo taken! (You WILL need to present an alternative form of Photo ID— driver’s license, passport card, etc. — to pick up your Mac Student ID Card.)

To upload your photo, log on to the secure GET Funds website with your Macalester username and password. (Be sure to select Macalester as your institution.)   

From the GET Funds homepage, there is a Quick Links section with a link labeled "Upload ID Photo." Select the page to upload your photo and stay tuned for approval. 

For new students, the photo must be uploaded by August 28, 2017 and meet the ID Photo Requirements.  If it DOES NOT meet the requirements, your photo will be rejected. You may upload an alternate photo, or take one during orientation when you arrive on campus.

If you have any questions about the requirements or uploading process, email us at .

How do I put money on my Macalester ID to use it on campus and to do laundry?

Add funds to your ID card in two ways:

  • Go to get.cbord.com, select Macalester as your institution, and log in using your Macalester username and password. For more information about GET, check out the GET Funds  website.
  • ValuePort in the lower level of the Campus Center. For more information about ValuePort, go to the Card Services website.

GET Funds is an account-management website allowing balance inquiries, transaction histories, lost or stolen card reporting, and online deposits which allows students, parents, grandparents, etc. to easily add money (Mac Money) to their student’s ID card for use at campus venues. All payments are made online with a credit card. There is a $1 convenience fee when you use GET Funds online. 

The ValuePort is a machine where you can add money (Mac Money) to your IDs using cash. The machine only accepts $1, $5, $10 and $20. There no fee for using the ValuePort.

back to top

What IS Mac Money?

Money that you put on your ID to use at campus venues is called Mac Money. Mac Money rolls over from year to year. Once Mac Money is added to your ID, it cannot be removed until you use it or until you permanently leave the college. Mac Money cannot be cashed in for cash. Any Mac Money left on your ID after you graduate will be returned to you via check post-Commencement.

For more information regarding Aux Points, check out the Card Services website. 

back to top

Where can I use MAC MONEY on campus?

There are a variety of locations on campus that accept Mac Money as payment

    • Atrium Market – subs & soup
    • Café Mac – you can purchase meals for family and friends
    • The Grille – grilled items, sandwiches, salads, smoothies, pastries, cookies, hot & cold beverages
    • The Loch – pizza, hot sandwiches, salads
    • Scotty’s – burritos and burrito Bowls
    • Highlander Store – bookstore, convenience store, Macalester apparel
    • Information Desk – discounted bus passes and movie theater tickets, fax service, tickets to Mac-sponsored off-campus event
    • Document Services – printing and copying
    • Library Copy Machine
    • Laundry (our laundry machines do NOT accept coins or bills)
    • Beverage and Snack Vending Machines

Where can I use Mac money off campus?

A variety of local merchants accept Mac Money as payment:

    • CVS Pharmacy, 499 Snelling Ave N, St. Paul
    • Culver’s, 1491 University Ave. W, St. Paul
    • Shish Cafe, 1668 Grand Ave, St. Paul
    • Noodles & Company, 470 Hamline Ave N, St. Paul
    • Toppers Pizza, 1154 Grand Ave, St. Paul
    • French Meadow Bakery & Cafe, 1662 Grand Ave, St. Paul

For an up-to-date list of off-campus locations accepting Mac Money, check out the Card Services website.

back to top

What happens if I break, lose or have my ID stolen?

If your card is lost or stolen, please report your card as lost or stolen via GET Funds or by contacting the Card Services Office ASAP. This will disable all services on your ID (e.g., Mac Money, meal plan, building access).  

  • The replacement fee for lost, stolen, or intentionally damaged Mac ID card is $20. The $20 replacement fee will be waived if your card is stolen and you have a police report documenting the theft.
  • Cards less than 2 years old, and in need of replacement due to accidental damage or visible wear and tear, can be replaced for $10.
  • Cards more than 2 years old, and in need of replacement due to visible wear and tear, can be replaced for $5. 
  • Cards needing replacement due to malfunction are free of charge.

All door access privileges and meal plan balances from your previous ID will be transferred to your new ID.

back to top

How does the mail work? Where do I get the combination for my mailbox?

The Student Post Office (SPO) is located on the lower level of the Campus Center. You can go to the SPO window to get your combination once you get to school. You can also access your combination by logging into 1600grand > Student Life tab.

back to top

How can I get bus passes or movie tickets?

Students can get subsidized bus passes and discounted movie passes at the Information Desk in the Campus Center.

back to top

Where do I get cash?

There is a US Bank ATM located on the lower level of the Campus Center. If you have a Wells Fargo account, you can use the Wells Fargo ATM at Super America on Snelling (it's about 3 blocks from campus) or the Wells Fargo Bank on the corner of Grand and Fairview (about 5 blocks away from campus). We encourage you to take a look at the banking information provided at banking in the area in order to decide which option makes the most sense for you.  All of the banks listed on that site allow accounts to be opened online.

back to top

Orientation Leaders/Contacts

What are Orientation Leaders (OLs) and how can I get in touch with mine?

Orientation Leaders are upper-class students who will aid you in your transition to Macalester. In early August, your OLs will write you and provide you with their contact information. Feel free to ask them any questions or concerns you may have about coming to Macalester!

back to top

What are the most important activities of each day for Orientation?

All orientation events are designed to help you with your transition to Mac, therefore attending all events are strongly encouraged. Events that are mandatory will be highlighted on the orientation schedule. There will also be some fun evening activities that will give you a chance to meet and socialize with your new classmates.

back to top

Who can I contact if I have more questions?

If you have other questions and would like to speak to someone in person, feel free to call the Orientation Office at 651-696-6842, or you can email the office at orientation@macalester.edu.

back to top


Are there activities for accompanying family members?

All family members including younger children are welcome to take part in parent and family orientation events on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning.  However, there are no structured activities specifically for children. They are welcome to bring items to entertain themselves.  For more information regarding parent and family orientation events, go to 

back to top

Are transfer students eligible to participate in any of the Leadership Or Pre-Orientation Programs ?

The Leadership and Pre-Orientation Programs listed on the orientation webpage are structured for incoming first-year students and therefore transfer students may not apply or participate in the majority of these programs. However, transfer students are welcome to apply to the MacWard Bound program, but first-year students will have placement priority.

back to top

What are the requirements to qualify for a parking permit?

Registration for faculty and staff will be valid until such time as all vehicles are re-registered (typically 3 - 4 years). Resident student registration is valid for one year, September to August. Non-resident student registration is valid for one semester at a time. First-year resident students are NOT eligible for a campus parking permit. Medical and work-related exceptions may be requested from the Director of Safety and Security. Registration is not transferable. Parking permits are issued to Macalester faculty, staff, and eligible current students upon completion and signature of a vehicle registration form at the Facilities Services Office.

back to top