The Student Accounts Office would like to welcome you to the Macalester community for the 2018-2019 academic year. In the following section of the Orientation website, the Student Accounts Office will provide you with information regarding tuition, fees, other charges, payment options, forms, and policies of the department. We can also help you with your Perkins Loan, Macalester College International Student Loan (MCISL), and other institutional loans offered by the College.
Some helpful links to information regarding your student billing account are listed below.
- Contact Information for the Student Accounts Office
- Important Dates and Deadlines
- Tuition and Fees for 2018-2019 Academic Year
- Payment Agreement
- Student Responsibility
- Important Billing Information
- Statement of Account
- Estimating your Bill
- Payment Plan Options
- Room and Board/Meal Plan Information
- Health Insurance Information
- Frequently Asked Questions
Student Accounts Office
1600 Grand Ave
St. Paul, MN 55105
June 29, 2018: Payment Agreement Form Due in the Student Accounts Office
July 16, 2018: eBill Statement for Fall Semester 2018 Available Online
August 15, 2018: Payment Due Date for Fall Semester Tuition and Fees
August 15, 2018: Student Employment Check Authorization Form Due in Student Accounts
August 24, 2018: Health Insurance Waiver or Enrollment Deadline
December 17, 2018: eBill Statement for Spring Semester 2019 Available Online
January 15, 2019: Payment Due Date for Spring Semester Tuition and Fees
|Category||Fall 2018||Spring 2019||Total for 2018-2019|
All students attending Macalester College must have an original signed copy of the Payment Agreement on file in the Student Accounts Office. The signed original can be scanned and emailed to the Student Accounts Office. This document contains the explanation of terms, payment options, finance charges, and other information relating to the student’s billing account and responsibilities. The completed and signed document must be on file in the Student Accounts Office by June 29, 2018. Failure to do so will result in a payment agreement “hold”. The hold must be cleared within the first two weeks of classes in order for the student to validate their enrollment and continue in class. The earlier the signed Agreement is received, the smoother the student’s transition to the start of classes.
The Payment Agreement Form is available in the New Student Portal. Please print the Payment Agreement Form and return the original signed copy. The signed original can be mailed or scanned and emailed to the Student Accounts Office at:
Address: Student Accounts Office, Macalester College, 1600 Grand Ave, St. Paul, MN 55105
The student is responsible for reading and understanding all academic and financial policies as published in the Macalester College catalog, including the refund policies for tuition, room and board. The student is responsible for all charges regardless of whether financial aid, employers, or third parties pay as agreed. The student is responsible for communication of billing information to all parties involved. If the student believes that any information on their statement is incorrect, they must notify the Student Accounts Office in writing within 30 days of the statement date detailing the information believed to be incorrect. If the information is not disputed in writing within 30 days of the statement date, Macalester College will assume the information is correct.
- Student Billing Account Number. Each student will have an individual student billing account and a student identification number (ID). The student ID number serves as the student’s billing account number.
- Macalester Email Account. Each student’s Macalester email account is the official email account for billing purposes.
- eBill Statement. An electronic eBill statement will be created each month a student has an account balance or account activity.
- Students will receive an email notification announcing its availability. Students may sign up for text message notification in addition to an email notification.
- Authorized users will receive an email notification announcing its availability. Authorized users may sign up for text message notification in addition to an email notification.
Accessing Billing Information. In accordance with Federal regulations, parties other than the student do not receive billing account and statement information. However, students may share the billing account and statement information by setting parents and other persons up as an authorized user. An authorized user may view online billing information, account activity, eBill statements, and make online payments. See billing account access information below.
Student Access to Billing Account Information. Students may access their billing account information, view online eBill statements, and make online payments. Logon to Macalester’s 1600grand student portal, click on Money Matters, below Student Billing Account/Information click on View/Pay My Bill, click on Mac Account Suite, click on View Statements.
Parent Access to Billing Account Information. Parents and others can access student billing information by asking their student to set them up as an authorized user. Authorized users have their own login and web site to access the information. See below.
Setting Up An Authorized User. Students may authorize parents or other persons to become an authorized user to view their billing account information. To do so, students may logon to Macalester’s 1600grand student portal, click on Money Matters, below Student Billing Account/Information, click on View/Pay My Bill, click on Mac Account Suite, below My Profile Setup(upper right corner), Click on Authorized Users, enter information as prompted. The authorized user will receive an email with login information which can be used to view account information, statements, and make payments.
Authorized User Access to Billing Account Information. Once your student has set you up as an authorized user, you will receive an email with login information. As an authorized user, you may access your student’s billing account information, view eBill statements, and make online payments. You will receive an email each month your student has a balance or account activity saying the new eBill statement is ready to view.
To view your student’s eBill statement, go to the authorized user web site. Note: Authorized users use their own login credentials and login at the authorized user web site.
Optional Text Message Notification. In addition to email notification, you have the option of adding a text message notification for events relating to eBill statements and payments. It’s easy! Just update your profile information to include your mobile phone number and carrier.
Fall Semester 2018 eBill statements will be available online late in the day on July 16, 2018. The due date for the balance owing on this statement is August 15, 2018. Students and authorized users may view these bills by following the login process above and opening the pdf eBill statement.
Spring Semester 2019 eBill statements will be available online by December 17, 2018 with a due date of January 15, 2019.
Semester Payment Due Dates are as follows:
August 15, 2018 – Fall Semester 2018
January 15, 2019 – Spring Semester 2019
The Due Date for Payment of current charges billed is the 15th of the following month. Example, the due date for charges billed on July 16, 2018 for Fall Semester is August 15, 2018. If the balance owing is not paid by the due date, a finance charge will be assessed on the past due balance.
Finance Charges of .667% per month (Annual Percentage Rate of 8%) will be applied to the balance due on the 15th of each month. As of the 15th day of each month (or the first business day thereafter), the College will calculate the current billed balance by adding new charges to and subtracting new payments/credits from the previous balance.
back to top
The College generates an electronic Statement of Account for each student prior to the start of each semester and each month that the student has an account balance. This statement comes in the form of an eBill. Each eBill statement (pdf) itemizes the student’s payment obligation to the College for that billing period. The statement will also itemize any credits applied to the student’s bill such as financial aid or payments received. The student is responsible for all charges regardless of whether financial aid, employers, or other third parties pay as agreed. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that all requirements of grantors, lenders, employers and other third party payers are met on a timely basis. It is the student’s responsibility to communicate billing information to all parties involved.
To estimate the amount of Macalester charges that you and your family will be responsible for the 2018-2019 academic year, please use the Bill Estimating Worksheet. This worksheet, provided by the Financial Aid Office, is based on direct charges and does not consider indirect expenses for books, supplies, travel, and personal expenses. You will need to plan for these costs as well as the direct costs estimated above.
Macalester College offers two payment plan options to its students. One is the Semester Payment Plan and the other is the Installment Payment Plan.
Semester Payment Plan Option:
- Under the Semester Payment Plan, the student’s obligation will be paid on or before August 15th for Fall Semester and on or before January 15th for Spring Semester. Any additional obligation incurred during the semester will be billed by the College and will be due as noted on the statement.
- If a student chooses this option and does not pay their obligation by the August 15th or January 15th due date, they agree to pay any finance charges incurred.
- Payments for this plan may be made with:
- Cash: Personally paid in the Student Accounts Office.
- Check: Made payable to Macalester College and mailed or personally delivered to the Student Accounts Office at the address below:
Student Accounts Office, Macalester College, 1600 Grand Ave. St Paul, MN 55105
- Online Payment Options:
- Checking/savings account (no fee).
- Credit card (2.85% fee/minimum $3 fee). We accept online credit card payments from Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover. Credit card payments include a 2.85% fee or a minimum of $3 paid by the card holder.
- Wire Transfer: To make a wire transfer payment, please contact the Student Accounts Office by either mailing or emailing your request to receive the wire transfer information. You may also stop in the Student Accounts Office to request the information in person. When making a wire transfer, please include the student’s Macalester ID number and name in the reference section.
Installment Payment Plan Option:
- The installment payment plan is offered in partnership with Tuition Management Systems (TMS) and allows the payment of tuition and fees to be spread over the course of the semester or academic year as per their predetermined schedule. TMS operates as an independent monthly payment plan with insurance and extended payment features. For information regarding this plan, please go to the following link: www.afford.com or call 1-888-722-4867.
- This interest-free payment plan is available for an enrollment fee of $85.00 for the academic year. A service charge is assessed by TMS for late payments.
- The College will credit the student’s account for the amount contracted for that semester at the beginning of that semester. The student will pay their obligation in monthly installments directly to TMS as contracted.
- Adjustments to the TMS credit result only if the contract becomes delinquent with TMS or if there is a change in the original contract amount. If three payments are missed, the entire balance is due immediately.
- Any additional obligation incurred during the semester will be billed by the College and will be due as noted on the statement. Your TMS contract will not be adjusted.
- The College will not issue a refund check on the TMS installment plan until all payments have been made. If the TMS Installment Plan exceeds the student’s balance, the student may contact TMS to reduce the contracted amount. Reduction in a contract amount must be approved by Macalester Student Accounts Office staff.
- The College may require that the student make payments under the Semester Payment Plan even if the student has the TMS Payment Plan. This option may be exercised by the College if, in the past, the student has failed to make the payments as scheduled. This option may be exercised by the College if the amount contracted does not cover the balance due.
Visit Residential Life
How can I view my eBill statement and other billing account information?
Students may view their eBill statement, billing account information, and make online payments by logging on to Macalester’s student portal, 1600grand, click on Student Life, click on My Student Account, click on View/Pay My Bill, click on Mac Account Suite, click on the option you are looking for such as eBill.
Authorized users must be set up by the student. Once set up, please go to the authorized user web site to login.
As a parent, how do I view my student’s eBill statement and other billing information?
Ask your student to set you up as an authorized user. As an authorized user, you may view the student’s eBill statement, billing account activity, and make online payments. Instructions for setting you up as an authorized user can be found at Student Accounts.
How do I share the billing responsibility with my parents or other persons?
Students may share the billing responsibility by setting up parents or other persons as authorized users to view their billing account information. To do so, students may log on to Macalester’s student portal,1600grand, click on Student Life, click on My Student Account, click on View/Pay My Bill, click on Mac Account Suite, click on Authorized Users tab, and enter information as prompted. The authorized user will receive an email with login information which can be used to view account information, statements, and make payments.
How can I get a paper copy of my statement?
Students and authorized users may logon to view the student’s eBill statement (pdf) and click on the print option. Macalester College does not provide paper copies of statements.
What are my payment options?
Payments may be made with:
- Cash: Personally paid in the Student Accounts Office.
- Check: Made payable to Macalester College and mailed or personally delivered to the Student Accounts Office at the following address:
Student Accounts Office, Macalester College, 1600 Grand Ave, St Paul, MN 55105
- Online Payment Options:
- Checking/savings account (no fee).
- Wire Transfer: To make a wire transfer payment, please contact the Student Accounts Office by either mailing or emailing your request to receive the wire transfer information. You may also stop in the Student Accounts Office to request the information in person. When making a wire transfer, please include the students Macalester ID number and name in the reference section.
When are the Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 semester payments due?
- Fall Semester 2018 payment is due August 15, 2018.
- Spring Semester 2019 payment is due January 15, 2019.
Can I wait until I get to campus to pay my bill?
Do not wait until you get to campus to pay your bill. The eBill statement and all information clearly states that the due date for Fall Semester is August 15th and the due date for Spring Semester is January 15th.
I subtracted my charges from my Financial Aid and paid the difference. Why does my account still have a balance due?
Some reasons for still having a balance due include changing your living arrangements, not subtracting the loan origination fee, including your work study award, intending to apply for a loan that has not yet been processed due to missing documents, pending scholarships, and possibly errors in calculating what is owed. We would be happy to help you determine why you still have a balance.
Who do I contact if I have questions about the Financial Aid listed on my eBill statement?
Please contact the Financial Aid Office regarding financial aid items listed on your statement or pertaining to your billing account information. Their contact information is:
Why isn’t my full work study award applied to my account?
While work study is a form of financial aid, the money must be earned. Students are given a specific dollar amount that they may earn each semester. Until the money is earned and applied to your account, you will not be given credit for it. If you would like to have your work study checks directly applied to your student account, you will need to come to the Student Accounts Office to complete the necessary paperwork.
How are student employment earnings applied to student accounts?
Students who work on campus may sign a Student Employment Check Authorization Form in the Student Accounts Office authorizing the college to automatically apply the work study earnings to your account.
How do I know what to pay if I receive a new financial aid award?
Take the total charges due, subtract the new aid award and pay the difference. Remember that work study is not a credit until it is earned, so it should not be included in your calculation. To help you in figuring out the new amount due, go to the Bill Estimating Worksheet.
Do I have to pay for health insurance coverage if I have my own coverage?
By default, all students are charged for the health insurance and are responsible for waiving out of the policy. Health insurance coverage is mandatory. You must waive out by the deadline of August 24, 2018, in order for the fees to be credited back to your student billing account. To waive out of the policy, go to the GallagherKoster website or contact the the Center for Health and Wellness for more information. Once you are enrolled in the policy, you may not waive out.