2022 Election: Make a Voting Plan
ContactDr. Suzanne M. Rivera
Professor of Public Affairs
A message from President Suzanne Rivera
The upcoming U.S. midterm election is next week, on Tuesday, November 8. I write today to encourage all eligible voters in our community to make a voting plan.
I am so proud that, in both 2016 and 2018, Macalester students achieved the highest voter rate of any college or university participating in Tufts University’s National Study of Learning, Voting, and Engagement, which tracks voting rates every two years at more than 1,100 higher education institutions. Clearly, civic participation is a Macalester cornerstone value, and our high level of engagement in the electoral process demonstrates that we put our values into action.
I want to extend my gratitude to Mobilize Mac‘s students, faculty, and staff for all of their work to engage our community in voting, and for setting our 2022 goal to reach at least an 80 percent voting rate among eligible student voters.
If you are able to vote in the U.S., please make sure your voice is heard and counted. Here’s what you need to know:
- Election Day polling hours in Minnesota: November 8 from 7 a.m.–8 p.m. (Always confirm times with your local polling place.)
- Early voting: Early voting is available up until November 7. In Minnesota, no excuse or reason is required to vote early. For more information about how to vote early in Ramsey County, check out the Ramsey County elections website.
- Eligible student voters living on campus: You can still register and vote on the day of the election at Macalester Plymouth Church (behind Carnegie Hall). All you need is your Macalester ID to register and then vote.
- Eligible student voters living off campus: You can find your polling location and information about registering on the day of the election at the Minnesota Secretary of State’s website.
- Eligible college employees: The State of Minnesota guarantees employees a right to take time off work to vote without losing pay or accumulated leave time. To minimize campus services disruptions, please coordinate your voting day plans with your manager and office colleagues.
- Election Day Rally and Parade: All are invited to a Mobilize Mac election rally at 4:30 p.m. outside of the Campus Center on November 8. There will be some brief remarks followed by a parade around campus that will end outside of the polling site for all those who live on campus.
- Additional election information: Mobilize Mac website or [email protected].
I am inspired and energized every day by the many ways our Mac community advocates for positive change. I applaud each of you who organized, volunteered, and made your voices heard this election season. And I am grateful for all eligible voters who will fulfill their solemn responsibility to vote in this election.
November 1, 2022