Jewish Life at Macalester
Jewish life at Macalester is rich and varied, led and created by students through Macalester Jewish Organization (MJO) and supported by Rabbi Emma Kippley-Ogman and the Center for Religious and Spiritual Life (CRSL).
Jewish life at Macalester is always evolving, shaped by the 180+ students who make it their home. MJO works in collaboration with other communities of practice of the CRSL. Some of what you’ll find:
Shabbat & Holidays
• Songful Shabbat Services and Dinner: Fridays at 6pm in the CRSL (twice monthly)
• High Holiday Services for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur
• Tashlich hike and on-campus sukkah
• Passover seder open to the campus community & Passover kitchen
• Holiday celebrations for Hanukkah & Tu BiShvat
• Weekly MJO gatherings in a residence hall
• Challah for Hunger baking and sale once a month
Connections in the Larger Community
• Attending (or teaching Hebrew/religious school) at local congregations of various flavors
• Social justice leadership training and organizing with Jewish Community Action
• Connections through the arts with Rimon Arts Council
The climate on campus is positive, with opportunities for learning and constructive dialogue about Israel/Palestine – several related student organizations draw Macalester students’ activism and engagement. The empowerment model of student-created Jewish community has led a remarkable number of recent Macalester alums to choose to become rabbis and Jewish communal leaders.
Wondering about keeping kosher at Macalester?
Macalester has a single dining hall with abundant vegetarian/vegan options; students who have questions about kashrut or would like support for dietary practices are welcome to contact Rabbi Emma or the CRSL.
Whatever your question, please be in touch!
Rabbi Emma Kippley-Ogman: firstname.lastname@example.org
Macalester Jewish Organization Student Leaders: email@example.com