Employment Services has provided temporary guidelines for remote working.
Be prepared to work remotely by following this checklist from your office here at Macalester. This is a list of technology resources that can be used to enable work from off-campus.
- Get a computer: Bring your college-owned device home, borrow a college-owned device or use your personal device.
Get a headset and webcam to meet remotely with your team. You can use any headset with mic, smartphone earbuds, they don’t have to be fancy. (optional)
- Refresh your 2-factor options Google and Duo. Make sure backup options are set to devices you can get to remotely.
- Decide if you need Macalester’s Virtual Private Network (VPN). Using VPN extends Macalester’s secure network beyond campus. Connect your device to VPN when off campus to use services that can only be accessed on campus.
Requires VPN Does not require VPN Advance/Matrix
G & H Drives
Start Your Remote Workday
- Sit down at your workspace and start your computer.
- Connect to your home Wifi. ITS suggests that all home WiFi networks be password protected.
- Connect to VPN to access G & H Drives, Advance, Argos, and Banner.
VPN is not required to access 1600grand, Moodle, Gmail, Google Drive, Calendar, Hangouts Meet and WordPress from off campus.
Connect to VPN via macOS (gdoc)
Connect to VPN via Windows (gdoc)
- Set Google Chat status to indicate your location (optional).
- Add “working remotely” to your department calendar (optional).
Meet & chat online
Store and share files