The Macalester College Language Houses are located on Vernon and Princeton Streets at the Southwest corner of campus. Residents in the Russian, Japan, Chinese, French, German, and Spanish houses immerse themselves in the language and culture of the given house. Room cost for Language Houses and the Eco House is listed on the housing and dining agreement. A dining plan is not required but language house residents have to option to purchase dining plan A, B,C or the Commuter Meal Plan each semester.
Language Houses Locations and Application Deadlines
|Chinese House||216 Vernon Street||6||April 15th, 2021|
|French House||182 Vernon Street||6|
|German House||190 Vernon Street||8||April 15th, 2021|
|Japan House||1661 and 1663 Princeton Court||6||April 15th, 2021|
|Russian House||1668 Princeton Street||4||April 15th, 2021|
|Spanish House||196 Vernon Street||12|
- Bathrooms: Each house has 1 to 3 single use bathrooms.
- Laundry Facilities: Coin-operated laundry facilities.
- Kitchen: Full kitchens with a cook top, oven, full-sized refrigerator, and a sink. Residents are exempt from the residence hall meal plan requirement, but they may request a full or commuter meal plan each semester.
- Computer Labs/Internet Access: Ethernet and WiFi.
- Common space: Intentional large gathering spaces. Houses are located on a quiet residential street with porches, and front and back yards. Residents are responsible for cleaning the kitchen, bathrooms, and common area. Also, residents of each house are responsible for shoveling snow from the front door to the public sidewalk and for taking out their own trash and recycling for pickup.
- Room types: The number of bedrooms in each house varies. Rooms are singles and doubles.
The language houses are an opportunity for students to expand their language skills and cultural knowledge outside of the classroom. Living in a language house is a great option for students planning to study abroad in a country associated with the language they are studying. Each department that supervises a language house has an application process and requirements that students must meet to be accepted to the house. Room and roommate placement within the house is determined by the department.
Rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors can apply to live in the language houses. The housing contract is for the entire year unless the resident studies abroad for spring or fall semester.
Contact the department associated with language house to apply.