Housing and Residential Life Accommodations:

Macalester College believes the living-learning experience in a community living model is essential to the student growth. Students are required to live on-campus for the first two years as part of this commitment to holistic learning. With this spirit in mind, we strive for students to live in cooperative spaces as much as possible, including individuals with disabilities.

Requests for accommodations are considered on a case by case basis, evaluated by evidence of disability impact, the reasonableness of the accommodation request and availability.  Students who have a preference for a specific space as opposed to required accommodation  should go through the standard housing procedures.

Making a Request:

The following steps should be taken to ensure an equitable process in considering accommodations:

  1. Accepted to Macalester, completed the Housing and Dining Agreement.
  2. Registered as a student with a disability with Disability Services.
  3. Completed of the accessible housing request form (provided by Disability Services) and
  4. Provided documentation of a diagnosed disability with specific information on housing accommodations.  Documentation needs to be current and written by a care provider with the credentials, expertise, and experience with your specific disability. This information should be provided to Disability Services by the appropriate deadlines listed below.
  5. Met with the Director of Disability Services (if this is needed) to discuss accommodation needs.

Deadlines to ensure best consideration for housing accommodations: 

First Year, admitted students:  July 6

Returning students, Fall/Full Year:  Requests due by end of day on  February 17.

Spring Semester:  October 30

Requests after these timelines will be considered on a case by case basis, but options may be limited.

Specialized Housing: 

Requests for housing accommodations for specialty housing (e.g. language houses) are due by application deadlines for each individual housing area.

Single rooms are limited and therefore, requests for singles via this process are for instances where a single is medically necessary as part of a treatment plan to reduce disability impact.   Noise, stress or roommate concerns may not rise to this level of disability impact.  Each request is evaluated on an individual student need.

Next Steps:

Once your request is submitted, you will be contacted by Disability Services if it is approved or more information is needed.  Residential Life staff will then connect with you on possible space configurations.

If your request is approved, you will be considered for a housing accommodation that first and foremost meets your documented needs. Building and room type preferences will be considered and honored if possible, but an assignment within your preferences is not guaranteed (e.g. asking to live in a specific residence hall or with specific roommates).

Accommodation requests need to be made every academic year due to space considerations.  Previous accommodations do not guarantee similar accommodations from year to year.  Students should be prepared to have alternative options their first request cannot be granted due to space or other administrative limitations.

Housing or Meal Plan Exemptions/Accommodations:

Please go here for more specific information:


Documentation from a care provider requiring an exemption as part of a treatment plan is required for these requests.

Emotional Support Animals:

Students who require the assistance of an ESA as part of a treatment plan should contact Disability Services as early as possible in the semester prior to the animal being placed and by accommodation deadlines to ensure appropriate placement.  Students will be provided specific information on the next steps and the assistance animal management plan. ESAs and different than service animals and may not eligible for all shared spaces on campus; however, in these cases, appropriate alternatives will be determined.