Chemical Spill Procedures – What to do
In case of chemical spills which are not immediately dangerous to life or health you should:
- Immediately notify Safety and Security at 651-696-6555 and the Facilities Services office at 651-696-6278. Be prepared to give the following information:
- Your name
- Building name
- Room number
- Type of accident
- Chemical(s) involved, if known
- Safety and Security will supply the proper response team.
- Attempt to confine the spill as much as possible only if you are trained to confine spills and are thoroughly familiar with the hazards of the spilled chemical. If you have contact with the spilled material, remove any contaminated clothing immediately and flush all areas of bodily contact with large amounts of water.
- Continue to rinse bodily contact areas with large amounts of water for 15 minutes.
- If building needs to be evacuated proceed to building evacuation meeting place area. Account for all person/s in your area. Notify emergency personnel of missing person/s.
- Do no re-enter the builiding until told to do so by campus security officers.
What Will Happen Next
The proper response team/s will assist in clean up and disposal of chemicals. Medical treatment will be provided as needed for victims.
Keep Yourself Calm – Keep Others Calm
In an emergency, call 911 and Campus Security 651-696-6555. Give your campus location and describe the emergency situation.
Life, health or safety threat
Mac Security Office
Report a crime, suspicious activity or package, etc.
7:30 AM—4:30 PM