What to do in a Fire Emergency
- If you discover a fire, explosion, or smell smoke in the building: Sound the alarm.
- Immediately call 911, and then call Safety and Security at 651-696-6555 and give the following information:
- Your name
- Building name
- Room number
- Type of incident
- When a fire alarm sounds, complete evacuation is required. Close doors and windows on your level. If the alarm stops sounding continue evacuation and warn others who may attempt to enter the building.
- Do not use elevators during a fire emergency.
- Proceed to meeting area. See building evacuation meeting place map. Account for all person/s assigned to your area. Leave walks and driveways open for arriving fire fighters. Do not return to the building until directed to do so by Safety and Security officers. The silencing of audible alarms or horns does not mean it is safe to re-enter the building.
- Notify fire fighters on the scene if you suspect someone may be trapped inside the building.
- If you are trapped during a fire.
- Wet and place cloth material around and under the door to prevent smoke from entering.
- Close as many doors as possible between you and the fire.
- Be prepared to signal someone outside, but do not break glass until absolutely necessary as smoke may be drawn into the room.
- If caught in smoke:
- Drop to the floor and crawl toward an exit.
- Stay as low as possible.
- Take shallow breaths through your nose and use a shirt or towel as a filter.
- Leave immediate fire area and close doors behind you.
- Use the stairwells to evacuate the building.
- If caught in heavy smoke, stay near the floor, take short breaths through your nose, and move to the exit by crawling.
- DO NOT attempt to fight the fire.
- DO NOT use the elevators.
- DO NOT return to a building until told to do so by the fire captain.
What Will Happen Next
The fire department is dispatched by the 911 operator. Safety and Security and Facilities Services personnel prepare for the arrival of the fire department and direct them to the scene. Fire fighters arrive to handle the emergency.
Keep Yourself Calm – Keep Others Calm
In an emergency, call 911 and Campus Security 651-696-6555. Give your campus location and describe the emergency situation.
Life, health or safety threat
Mac Security Office
Report a crime, suspicious activity or package, etc.
7:30 AM—4:30 PM