Building or Area Lockdown
A lockdown may be implemented in the face of a hazardous or life threatening situation. It is intended to limit access and hazards by controlling and managing staff and students in order to increase safety and reduce possible victimization. When a lockdown is declared, all community members are to stay put in their current position, unless they are immediately adjacent to the dangerous situation (shooter, bomb threat, etc). Close and lock all doors, shut window and close blinds, stay low on the floor behind a desk if possible.
The building will have restricted access until the “All Clear” is given or individuals are directed by emergency personnel or staff. All college activities, classes and events are immediately paused and will not resume until official notice is given. A lockdown may be called by college officials, law enforcement agencies or other emergency responders. A lockdown may be called for a variety of reasons including: weapons, intruders, police activity in or around the school, contamination or hazardous materials or terrorist events.
Faculty – Staff Response - Lockdown
- During a lockdown a professor or staff person may:
- Detain students in the classroom.
- Check the halls and clear hallways of individuals.
- Keep students calm.
- Keep an attendance log of all students in the room and update throughout the evacuation if necessary.
- Keep students secure by locking windows and doors.
- Do not allow anyone in or out until an “all clear” signal has been given.
- Monitor mobile phone Macalester Alert text messaging, email, and voice mail for updates.
- After the incident report all people by name to the Office of Student Affairs (Dean of Students).
Once the local police arrive, they will be briefed on the situation and they will take command.
There will be a communication link between the local police, Safety and Security, and the Crisis Response Team.
Macalester Alert emergency message system will transmit information as quickly as possible.
Monitor Macalester Alert mobile phone text messaging, email, and voice mail for updates.
Always be observant. The personal safety of others may depend on what you remember about the situation.
Keep Yourself Calm - Keep Others Calm
In an emergency, call 911 and Campus Security 651-696-6555. Give your campus location and describe the emergency situation.
Life, health or safety threat
Mac Security Office
Report a crime, suspicious activity or package, etc.
7:30 AM—4:30 PM