Notice: This video contains graphic depictions of violence and some stereotypical characterizations. If you chose to watch the video, please look past the stereotypes depicted and focus on the RUN HIDE FIGHT message.
The Macalester College Incident Management Team wants to inform the Macalester community about what to do in the event of an active shooter on campus. The College subscribes to the Run. Hide. Fight. model endorsed by the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security.
The terms are simple. If you encounter an active shooter:
- Attempt to escape.
- Leave your belongings.
- Keep your hands visible.
- If evacuation is not possible, find a place to hide outside the shooter’s view.
- Lock and blockade doors.
- Silence phones and other noisemakers.
- Fight as a last resort if your life is in danger.
- Attempt to incapacitate the shooter.
- Yell, act aggressively, throw items or improvise with possible weapons.