651-696-6555 (24 hour)
651-696-6278 (business hours)
Suggestions for Handling Obscene or Harassing Phone Calls
Your telephone is for your use and service and is under your control. Always use your phone on your own terms. If a caller refuses to speak, uses obscene language, asks inappropriate questions, or makes you feel uncomfortable at any time, hang up; you are not obligated to speak to anyone. Harassing callers are trying to elicit a response from you; do not give them what they want. Keep calm and hang up immediately.
Keep calm and hang up immediately
- Do not slam the receiver down.
- Do not try to figure out who is calling or analyze the caller.
- Do not engage the caller in a conversation or humor them by giving your opinion, making comments or feel you have to justify anything the caller may be complaining about or saying.
- Do not discuss the calls with anyone except for authorities.
- Do not give out any personal information, including phone number.
Do you feel threatened?
Notify Security at 651-696-6555 immediately to file an incident report.
Forward harassing voice mail message to 6686
If the caller leaves a message, forward the message to the Associate Director of Public Safety’s voice mail at 651-696-6686:
- While listening to, or shortly after the end of the message, press 7 3.
- Enter the mailbox 6686, followed by #; press # again.
- Record a message for Security that includes your name, phone number, date and time the call was left in your mailbox. Press 5 when ready to record; press # when finished speaking.
- Press 7 9 to complete the forward.
- The original message will stay in your mailbox until you delete it by pressing 7 6.
Life, health or safety threat
Mac Security Office
Report a crime, suspicious activity or package, etc.
7:30 AM—4:30 PM