The Center for Scholarship and Teaching has been established to encourage, promote and support the pursuit of excellence in scholarship and teaching within Macalester's distinctive urban liberal arts setting by:
- Supporting faculty scholarship, the cornerstone of a vibrant and engaged intellectual community
- Promoting excellence and innovation in teaching and advising
- Seeking ways to integrate scholarship and teaching to deepen and enrich the education of students while promoting a more 'seamless' and satisfying professional life for faculty
- Encouraging and facilitating public scholarship and civic learning as a means of making Macalester a truly 'engaged campus'
- Sponsoring special projects that encourage the rediscovery, redefinition and reinvigoration of the College's liberal arts mission