ANALES GALDOSIANOS 57 (2022)
Monographic Issue: Pardo Bazán and Pérez Galdós: Consonance and Confluences in Celebration of Two Centennials
Deadline for Essay Proposals: December 5, 2021
Essay Deadline (no more than 10,000 words): April 30, 2022
Expected Date of Publication: November 2022
Toni Dorca (Macalester College)
Sara Muñoz-Muriana (Dartmouth College)
Gabrielle Miller (Baylor University)
Over the last two years, successive centennial commemorations of the deaths of Benito Pérez Galdós (2020) and Emilia Pardo Bazán (2021) have inspired multiple conferences, exhibitions, and publications about the life and works of each author. Anales Galdosianos aims to contribute to this double anniversary by exploring the multiple points of connection and contact the writers maintained over the course of approximately four decades (1880-1920). Toward this aim, the journal invites potential authors to submit essay proposals that shed new light on biographical aspects, writing practices, or elective affinities that unite the emblematic figures of Pardo Bazán and Pérez Galdós. Rather than revisit topics well-trodden in the field, abstracts should offer original insights resulting from a joint consideration of both authors and their work. Potential topics may include but are not limited to:
- Epistolary exchanges
- Histories of friendship, affect and love
- Influences, intertextualities, and reciprocal mediations: Naturalism, the Russian novel, the theater, etc.
- The creation of their own literary universe: language, characters, rhetorical strategies, etc.
- Problematizing their historical moment: thematic correspondences
- Questioning and transgressions of the status quo
- Meeting spaces: private, public, national, transnational, etc.
- Literary creation and the publishing market
Abstracts in English, Spanish, Galician or Catalan should be sent via Word document (.doc or .docx) by December 5, 2021 to: