Where are we in the strategic planning process?
November 2021-January 2022:
Community gatherings include a Nov. 19 kick off event in addition to other events
Share draft themes with the Board of Trustees and the community as well as hold Champion listening sessions
Draft Strategic Plan
Draft the plan, and share with the community in Aug/Sept
Submit a final strategic plan to the Board of Trustees for approval
Final Opportunities to Provide Feedback
Before sending the draft strategic plan (PDF) to the Board of Trustees, there will be opportunities for all members of the community to learn more about the draft plan, offer feedback, and ask questions. Here’s an overview of those sessions:
- For Staff: Wednesday, September 7 from 2-3 p.m. via Zoom (register here), hosted by the Staff Advisory Council
- For Faculty: Wednesday, August 31 from 3-4:30 p.m. in the Weyerhaeuser Boardroom, hosted by the Faculty Advisory Council
- For Students: Wednesday, August 31 from 6-7 p.m. in Kagin Ballroom, with pizza and beverages, hosted by Kathryn Kay Coquemont, Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students, and Lisa Anderson-Levy, Provost
- For Alumni and Current Parents:
- Tuesday, September 6 from 7-8 p.m. via Zoom (register here) or
- Wednesday, September 7 from noon-1 p.m. via Zoom (register here)
- Note: the formats for both sessions will be identical. We are holding two in order to provide flexibility for alumni and current parents who may want to attend from different time zones around the world.
In addition, the strategic planning email box, firstname.lastname@example.org, will be open until September 15. Please feel free to email us there with any additional feedback.
Following are some of the many ways members of the Macalester community have provided input, to date, during the planning process. In addition, Strategic Planning Champions held audience-specific and identity/affinity-group specific listening sessions or attended existing events in order to broaden participation in the strategic planning process.
- October 7, 2021: Alumni, staff, faculty, students, and parents joined the Big Questions event during which President Rivera and Provost Anderson-Levy discussed the strategic planning process.
- October 27 and 28, 2021: Alumni, staff, faculty, students, and parents joined a presentation of the financial model overview delivered by Associate Professor David Shuman, Director of Institutional Research and Assessment Bethany Miller, and VP of Administration and Finance Patricia Langer. (An additional session for students only was held on October 28.)
- November 19, 2021: Faculty and staff joined this faculty/staff kick-off session, and students joined this student kick-off session.
- December 2021-February 2022: Alumni, students, faculty, and staff responded to the strategic planning survey.
- December 2021-February 2022: Strategic Planning Champions engaged faculty, staff, students, alumni, and parents in numerous listening sessions.
- January 24, 2022: Parents were invited to join a Parent Town Hall with President Rivera and Provost Anderson-Levy.
- January 25, 2022: Alumni were invited to join an Alumni Town Hall with President Rivera and Provost Anderson-Levy.
- February 2, 2022: Alumni Strategic Planning Champions held an all-alumni listening session.
- February 25, 2022: The Board of Trustees and the senior leadership team met to discuss strategic plan goals and priorities.
- March 24, 2022: The High Winds Fund, along with a Strategic Planning Champion who lives close to campus, hosted a listening session with Macalester Groveland neighbors.
- March 29, 2022: Twin Cities community leaders and partners who are involved with the work of Macalester gathered to share their perspectives and expertise on the needs of community organizations and opportunities to amplify our Twin Cities location.
Between April 4 and April 11, we held strategic plan discussion sessions, which were open to any member of the Macalester community including: students, faculty, staff, alumni, and parents. Some sessions were focused on a specific topic and others were focused broadly on strategic planning. All were designed to solicit feedback from our community.
- Monday, April 4, 12-1pm CT/Topic: Fuel Community Well-being and Flourishing
Jen Jacobsen and Patricia Langer, Facilitators
- Monday, April 4, 4-5 pm CT/Topic: Create Signature Mac Experiences for Students
Prof. Ernie Capello and Jeff Allen, Facilitators
- Tuesday, April 5, 7-8 pm CT/Topic: Build Sustainable and Enduring Approaches to Access and Equity
Dr. Alina Wong and Daymond Dean ‘91, Facilitators
- Wednesday, April 6, 7-8:30 pm CT/Topic: All-Theme Session
President Suzanne Rivera, Facilitator
- Thursday, April 7, 12-1 pm CT/Topic: Reimagine the Residential Liberal Arts Experience
Provost Lisa Anderson-Levy and Niloy Ray ‘99, Facilitators
- Monday, April 11, 7-8:30 pm CT/Topic: All-Theme Session
President Suzanne Rivera, Facilitator
- Tuesday, April 12, 8-9:15 am CT/Topic: All-Theme Session for International Alumni
Patricia Langer and Daymond Dean ’91, Facilitators