Community Recognition Awards 2016-2017
Each spring, the Macalester community comes together to recognize the individual students, organizations, staff and faculty who have made meaningful contributions to the Macalester co-curricular experience. As the year draws to a close, it is important that we pause to honor these contributions and collectively celebrate one another's accomplishments. All faculty, staff, and students are invited to submit nominations. Nominations are due by 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, March 22, 2017.
Descriptions and award criteria are listed below. To nominate someone,
- Review the award criteria (see below) and write your nomination. Use no more than two typed pages to state how the nominee represents the ideals of the award(s) for which you are nominating them. Be as specific as possible.
- Save the nomination as a .doc, .docx, or .pdf using the nominee's name as the filename (e.g., JoeSmith.docx or ThomsonHamreaward.pdf)
- Go to the Community Recognition Awards submission site. (This is a moodlegroup. If you are asked, log in to moddlegroups with your Macalester credentials and click "yes" when asked if you would like to enroll in the course.
- Upload your nomination(s):
- Click on the submit button for the appropriate award.
- Click on "Choose File" to select the nomination you have written, then "Upload this file" to submit it.
- Repeat for any additional nominations.
Need help with the process of submitting via Moodlegroups? This quick video will walk you through the process, step by step.
AWARD DESCRIPTIONS AND CRITERIA
Presidential Leadership Award for Outstanding Seniors
This award recognizes seniors for their scholarship and outstanding contributions to the Macalester community throughout their college careers. To be considered for this award, a student must:
- Be a member of the senior class in good academic standing (GPA of 3.3 is required);
- Have a history of significant contributions in a variety of areas of campus life throughout their career at Macalester College;
- Have been a positive role model at Macalester College;
- Have worked to promote one or more of the core values of the college (i.e. internationalism, multiculturalism, or service)
The Hamre Award
The Hamre Award, named for Laurie Hamre, former Macalester Vice President for Student Affairs, is presented annually to at least one member of each class. The award honors students who live out the mission of the college not only by promoting one or more of Macalester’s stated values, but also by demonstrating a genuine love of the community through service to the college. To be considered for this award, a student must:
- Have demonstrated efforts to promote college values during the current academic year;
- Be enrolled full-time at Macalester College;
- Be in good academic standing (minimum G.P.A. of 2.7).
The Servant-Leader Award
The Servant-Leader Award recognizes those whose actions are congruent with their values, and who thus inspire others to develop their own leadership potential. Servant leaders exhibit outstanding leadership skills and often serve as guide or facilitator. They listen intently, demonstrate compassion and maintain a sense of ethics and humility. Current students with a GPA of 2.7 or above are eligible for consideration.
The Ann Bolger Vision Award
The Ann Bolger Vision Award is named in honor of Ann Bolger, who was the Director of Residential Life at Macalester from 1993 to 1999. The Vision award recognizes efforts to bring about positive organizational change or inspiring creative endeavors that contributed to the educational experience of students in a thoughtful, collaborative and informed fashion. In order to be considered, individual nominees must be enrolled full-time at Macalester College and be in good academic standing. Individuals and groups or organizations are eligible for this award.
The Civil Discourse Award
The Civil Discourse Award is given in recognition of efforts to promote on-campus civil discourse around issues related to difference and inclusivity. The award may be given to individuals, groups or organizations for their work to increase understanding and dialogue among members of the Macalester community through programming, education and negotiation. In order to be considered, individual nominees must be enrolled full-time at Macalester College and be in good academic standing. Individuals and groups or organizations are eligible for this award.
Macalester College Student Government Awards
Faculty and staff are eligible to receive the Educator of the Year Award or the James C. Hoppe Adviser of the Year Award which are given on behalf of Macalester College Student Government. Students who hold relevant positions are eligible to receive the Outstanding Student Educator of the Year award.
Educator of the Year
The Educator of the Year Award recognizes a staff and/or faculty member who consistently supports students’ co-curricular learning experiences. Through this award, student nominators applaud an educator for their leadership ability, many contributions and commitment to campus life. This award process is coordinated by the Academic Affairs Committee of MCSG. For further information, contact AAC@macalester.edu.
OUTSTANDING STUDENT EDUCATOR OF THE YEAR
The "Outstanding Student Educator of the Year" award recognizes four students who hold any of the following positions: Preceptor, Writing Assistant, Lab Assistant, Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leader, Macalester Academic Excellence (MAX) Center Tutor, Language Tutor, Tutor, Teaching Assistant, or other formal or informal leadership role in the Fine Arts, Physical Education, or other relevant fields. Each student educator is assessed on their passion, preparedness and wisdom, availability, clarity, and personality. This award process is coordinated by the Academic Affairs Committee of MCSG. For further information, contact AAC@macalester.edu.
James C. Hoppe Adviser of the Year
The James C. Hoppe Adviser of the Year Award recognizes the outstanding efforts of our student organization advisers. Student organization leaders are invited to nominate their adviser(s) to celebrate the relationship, the work and the investment of a staff or faculty member who has had a positive impact on the student members of the organization and the organization as a whole. This award process is coordinated by the Student Organizations Committee of the Macalester College Student Government. For further information, contact SOC@macalester.edu.