• What if I need to miss class for more than a day due to severe illness, family emergency, crisis situation or some other unforeseen situation?

Reach out to the Office of Student Affairs to notify us of your situation and request that we notify your faculty. When you return to campus or get well, you are responsible for negotiating missed class, assignments, and exams with each faculty member. Staff will work with you to problem solve and look at options for continuing all classes, dropping, withdrawing, etc. depending on your individual circumstances and details related to your potential for future success. Emergency and hardship situations tend to be very complex, but the key is to communicate with each faculty member and the Office of Student Affairs to work through the details.

  • I am injured, who do I go to for assistance?

Disability Services, can work with you to determine accommodations or assistance you may need during your recovery and will work to also communicate with faculty.

  • I am concerned about a friend, who do I talk to?

There are many resources on campus that can offer assistance, depending on the nature of your concern. You can begin by looking at the Whom to Call list on the Student Affairs website or talking to a member of our staff about your concern.  If your friend lives on campus you can also talk with the Residence Hall Director of that particular building for assistance. Check the Residential Life website for individual Hall information. Members of the Laurie Hamre Center for Health and Wellness are also available as a resource, or contacting Public Safety in case of an emergency situation.

  • I’m not sure if Mac is right for me and may be considering transferring, who can help me decide?

It is not uncommon for students to question if they chose the right college for them, particularly if you are having academic or social difficulties. Professional staff in the Office of Student Affairs are available to talk with you about these kinds of concerns and can refer you, if needed, to the appropriate resource. Talking with your faculty advisor and/or Academic Programs may also be a good resource and talking with a counselor at the Health and Wellness Center may also be helpful.

  • I’m thinking about taking a Leave of Absence, what do I do?

The Leave of Absence process and policy can be found in the Student Handbook.  If you have additional questions, please email studentaffairs@macalester.edu for assistance.  The form to request a Leave of Absence can be found at Forms/Processes. We also encourage you to talk with your faculty advisor about your plans, the Financial Aid office (if applicable) and the Registrar to see how taking a leave may affect these areas.  Be mindful of the date you are requesting your leave to begin since the effective date could possibly impact work study summer employment, summer internship or research, J-term activities and other areas.

  • There are some college policies and processes I don’t understand, who can help?

There are a number of resources that can help you understand college processes. Two online resources that provide all college requirements, policies and expectations are the College Catalog and the Student Handbook. Reach out to the Office of Student Affairs with questions you have concerning information in either of these resources. You may also talk with your Residence Hall Director for residence hall related matters; or your faculty advisor or the Director of Academic Programs for academic related questions.

  • Who can help me with questions and/or completing paperwork needed for enrollment, transfer, health records, etc.?

There are a lot of different forms and paperwork needed for specific areas.  The Office of Student Affairs can usually help direct you to the proper department if you have questions on where to take a form to be completed.

  • How long will my Mac email account be available after I graduate?

Generally accounts will remain active at least until the fall after graduation.  ITS will communicate this information prior to graduation, and can help with the specific date and tips on how to remove any data or contact information in your account so it is not lost to you.  Check out the Grad Tech List for information.