Starting a new organization on campus: It’s easy! It’s exciting!
The most important thing to do when you are planning to start a new organization is to contact the Student Organizations Committee Chair. They can help you with all of the processes and steps involved in chartering a new organization.
Here is some important information to help you get started:
- New student organizations must demonstrate a unique purpose or reason for existence. They should be able to distinguish themselves from other organizations on campus.
- Student organizations must have a significant amount of interested and committed people. Significant is understood to be at least 10 students who consistently attend organizational meetings.
- Student organizations must be non-exclusive. Any student who wishes to join the organization should be allowed to do so.
- Student organizations will appoint leadership through fair elections
- New leadership must identify itself to Campus Activities and Operations and MCSG for the purpose of maintaining an accurate list of active organizations and organizational contact persons.
- Groups without elected leaders must identify at least one contact person to Campus Activities and Operations and MCSG. Contacts will be subject to the same notification procedures as leaders in other student organizations.
Macalester College guarantees the freedom to organize and join organizations.
- The Macalester College Student Government (MCSG) officially charters student organizations on behalf of the College, making criteria for the granting of charters consistent with the general policies of the College.
- Although organizations may set restrictive membership criteria (e.g. tryouts/auditions), these should have a basis in the functioning of the organization and should not be discriminatory, as specified in the College’s non-discrimination policy.
- No organization shall be required to submit a membership list to the College.
Step 2 – The organization’s charter should be submitted to the Student Organizations Committee (SOC) on or before October 20th for the Fall semester and on or before February 28th for the Spring semester.
As you “Register A New Organization”, you will be directed to the “Charter Template”, wherein you can fill in your organization’s charter. It is highly recommended for students to meet with the SOC Chair prior to submitting the charter information. OrgSync will lead student organizations through each section of the charter. The following components should be included:
- Name and purpose of the student organization
- Description of how and by whom decisions are made within the group
- Conditions of becoming a member of the group and duties and rights of members
- Amendment and ratification process
Step 3 – The request to register a new organization and the organization’s charter will be reviewed by the Student Organizations Committee (SOC). This process will include:
- Interview of the organization’s chair with SOC
- Proposals by the SOC to changes to the charter, if required
Step 4 – The SOC will give a recommendation to the Macalester College Student Government (MCSG) Legislative Body (LB) regarding approval of the charter. After the organization’s chair has introduced the organization’s charter to the LB, the LB will either approve or reject the charter at its next meeting.
Step 5 – On final approval by the LB, the chartered organization will operate for one academic year and will then undergo an audit by the SOC at the end of the academic year.
Should any questions or concerns arise at any point during the chartering process, please feel free to contact the 2017-2018 SOC Chair, Salman Ahmed at email@example.com.