The study away process begins well in advance of your anticipated departure date. You begin during the fall semester of the academic year before you study away, and your journey continues beyond your return to campus. See the outline below for more information.
Fall semester of the academic year before you study away
Attend Mandatory First Step Study Away Information Sessions in order to have access to Online Advising and Application (view dates on CSA calendar)
- Complete Advising Questionnaires Online
- Meet with CSA advisor in-person (if required or desired)
- EARLY November request to open program application
- Complete Application for Macalester approval, including:
- Educational goal essays
- Coursework & ISP/Internship Essay (speak with faculty/advisor
- Online Confirmation Form
- Deadline Dec 6th at 11:59 PM
- Submit any paper materials before 4:30PM in the Center for Study Away
Early spring semester:
- SARC (Study Away Review Committee) will inform you of approval decisions
- Center for Study Away will work with you on any next steps
The semester before you study away
- Apply directly to your program
This process varies by program. Talk with your study away advisor for more specifics on your program’s application process.
- Pre-departure orientation
- Preparations: passports and visas, health preparations, money and banking, safety, pack your mind
While you are studying away
After you return
- Welcome back!
- Returning to Macalester