Applying for Macalester approval to study away involves a number of steps which include the advising and application processes. We have provided step-by-step instructions for each phase of the process below as well as information about what is included in the application. Should you have any questions, the Center for Study Away staff is available to assist you. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
- Attend a First Steps to Study Away session
- Login to your study away account.
- Read the Study Away Policies and Procedures (Learning Content in your study away account).
- Complete questionnaire #1 (Pre-Advising Questionnaire).
- Schedule a meeting with a study away advisor — email your availability to email@example.com, call 651-696-6300, or visit the second floor of Markim Hall.
- Meet with a study away advisor to discuss your plan.
Please don’t wait until the last week to start this process as you will be asked to consult with others on campus and this may require schedule planning in advance.
- Complete questionnaire #2 (Request to Start Program Application) and select your program and semester preferences.
A study away advisor will open your application within one business day. You will receive an automatic email when your application is open.
- Log-in after you are notified via email that your program application has been opened.
- Under “Applications”, click on your program.
- Complete each questionnaire, material submission, and signature document.
Save Your Work and Return Later
You can save your work and return to your application at a later date. Bookmark or save this website to easily log in again: macalester-csa.terradotta.com
Note: Some parts of the application may not apply to your program or course list. When you click on these parts, you will be asked whether this applies to you. If your response is “no” this part will be marked N/A.
Your application is complete once all parts are checked off and you click on “submit”. Once the application is submitted, you are unable to make any further changes.
You will be asked to submit information on your educational goals, planned study away coursework, semester preference, housing selection, and graduation plans. Please see the links below for specific questions that are asked.
A complete application consists of the following:
- Study Away Application – Questionnaire 1. Basic Information
- Study Away Application – Questionnaire 2. Communication Authorization
- Study Away Application – Questionnaire 3. Study Away Coursework Graduation Requirements
- Study Away Application – Questionnaire 4. Educational Goals Essays
- Study Away Application – Questionnaire 5. (Optional) Non-Approved Program Request
- A Completed Online Advisor Form