If you are eligible for Macalester financial aid when on campus, your financial aid (other than work study) can be applied to the cost of an approved study away program. Exceptions to using financial aid for study away costs include: non­-immigrant visa (F­1 and J) and asylee status students, as well as students who receive ACM Tuition Remission Exchange (TREP) or ACTC Dependent Tuition Assistance Program (DTAP) benefits (see below for more information).

Macalester College need-­based financial aid for study away is based upon total cost­-of-attendance including: tuition (Macalester tuition or program tuition, whichever is higher), room, board, airfare, books/supplies, and estimated personal expenses. The cost­-of­-attendance estimate will not include allowances for immunizations, obtaining a passport, supplemental travel, or personal expenses beyond the semester estimate. Since your study away cost-of-attendance differs from your on-campus cost-of-attendance, your financial aid award will be adjusted accordingly for that semester. The Center for Study Away provides study away program cost­-of­-attendance amounts to the Financial Aid Office for all approved students. Once the Financial Aid Office calculates your financial aid award based upon the costs described above, you will receive an updated financial aid notification mailed to your home address. If you study away in the fall, you will receive your financial aid notification in May; if you study away in the spring, you will receive the letter in October.

Frequently Asked Questions about financial aid and study away

You may have student loan options even if you don’t currently receive financial aid. Contact the Financial Aid Office by email at for more information.

Financial aid is not available at Macalester for summer study away programs. Students should consult with their summer program directly to learn of any scholarship opportunities.

DTAP & TREP Benefits

ACM TREP and ACTC DTAP benefits are not applicable toward study away costs unless the program selected is administered by Macalester or is an exchange program. If you receive these benefits, you will be charged the actual study away program tuition rather than Macalester tuition. DTAP and TREP recipients also have the option of applying for need-­based financial aid for the semester of study away and should contact the Financial Aid Office directly at for detailed instructions.