For the most up-to-date COVID-19 information, please visit

The following are answers to questions we have received regarding COVID-19 and study away.

I’m planning to study away in Fall 2021. Can I still register for Fall 2021 Macalester courses in case my program is canceled?

Yes, given the continuing uncertainty and unprecedented situation, Macalester is allowing fall study away students to register for regular Macalester courses, and we recommend you do so as a back-up plan. This way, if you are not able to study away in the fall, you’ll be registered for Macalester courses of your choice that will move you towards completion of graduation and major requirements. We strongly recommend that you register, even if you plan to move forward with study away for fall.

If I was approved for Fall 20 or Spring 21 study away can I still study away in a future semester?

If you were approved for Fall 2020 or Spring 2021 study away you can request to change your study away to a future semester. The CSA is currently reviewing such requests and asking that students who have requested a change confirm their semester and program choice as part of their approval process.

If you have not already done so, complete and submit the “Request to Change Study Away Semester” form found on the CSA’s Change of Plans website.

Does approval of my application or change of program request mean that I am definitely going to study away?

 While the college is cautiously optimistic that study away will resume in Fall 2021. The college is working on the specific criteria under which study away would move ahead. While those criteria are still being determined, they may include conditions in the study away destination, participating students’ ability to meet entry requirements or Macalester determined requirements (e.g. vaccinations, negative COVID tests prior to departure, isolation upon arrival), etc.

Any changes in Macalester approval of study away will be communicated to affected students as expeditiously as possible.

What do I do if I no longer want to study away?

If you want to cancel your study away plans, complete and submit the “Study Away Cancellation Form” on the CSA’s Change of Plans website.

My major requires me to study away. How do I fulfill that requirement if Study Away is canceled or I decide I am not comfortable studying away in during the 2021-22 academic year?

We encourage you to be in communication with the chair of your department. All majors that require study away have been aware of the possibility that study away might not be an option this coming spring and have indicated a willingness to work with you to meet the requirements of the major.

If you cannot find the answer to your question, please email and your question will be directed to the appropriate person.