The following are answers to some of the most frequent questions that we’ve been getting. If you don’t see the answer to your question here, please contact your study away advisor or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions about Academics
To the best of our knowledge, programs have made arrangements for you to complete your academic work through remote instruction. You should communicate directly with your program or host university for details on how to complete your courses. We are aware of a few individual courses that could not be completed remotely, but overall you should still be able to complete the equivalent of at least 12 Macalester credits to maintain full-time enrollment.
Yes. All completed coursework will be accepted by Macalester and recorded on your Macalester transcript.
Just as students on campus, you can declare any course that you are completing remotely Pass/Fail (note: this does not apply to courses that you completed fully on-site).
How do I designate my desired grading or withdrawal option?
- If your program is offering a pass/fail option, please follow their procedures to declare your courses pass/fail.
- If your program is not offering a pass/fail option, you may designate any or all courses pass/fail if that course has not yet been completed by emailing email@example.com with your Student ID number, the course numbers, and the title/s of the classes you wish to designate S/SD/N (pass/fail). You may only do this before the end of the final day of classes (not final exams).
- If you wish to withdraw from a course and receive a grade of “W” on your transcript, you must notify the registrar prior to the final day of classes for your program and if your course has not been canceled.
Yes. Courses under the pass/fail (S/SD/N) option can be counted towards the major, to satisfy the general education requirement, or to meet the second language proficiency as long as the S designation is awarded for the course.
Questions about Finances
If you earn 12 Macalester credits or more for the semester, you will not be eligible for a tuition refund; you will have completed a full semester of coursework. If you are earning fewer than 12 Macalester credits, you must notify the CSA through the form available in your online study away account and then we will follow up with you individually.
- If you paid your program room and board expenses to Macalester: You will be refunded a prorated amount based on the day you departed your program. We are working as quickly as we can.
- If you paid your room and board expenses on-site directly: We encourage you to reach out to your program and/or housing organization directly to inquire about refunds for vacating your housing earlier than expected.
- First, you need to check with your program to see if there is any funding allowed for change fees or returning tickets.
- Second, be sure to check with your airline for any credit eligibility on an unused or quickly altered return ticket.
- Third, while Macalester is not able to reimburse tickets outright, we in the CSA are working with the Financial Aid Office to determine how financial aid awards may be adjusted for this unexpected expense. If you want your out-of-pocket plane fare expenses reviewed for your individual Financial Aid COA award, you need to utilize the questionnaire available in your on-line study away account to submit your costs and receipts. This information is due on Monday, April 13.
As you can imagine, we are dealing with a high volume of requests. We appreciate your patience as we respond to your needs as quickly as possible.
Questions about Student Support
The Hamre Health and Wellness Center has moved to providing service via Telehealth. Those services are available to you as well. All students desiring to schedule an appointment for counseling or medical issues should call the Hamre Center: 651-696-6275. Remember that in an emergency you can call this number and press the number 2 for immediate counseling services.
If you have academic accommodations and are having difficulty with remote access due to disability impacts, you are welcome to connect with Disability Services (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For more information about ways to process and ways to make meaning out of your study away experience, visit the Returning to Macalester page.