You will need a passport if you are studying at an international location. Apply for a passport or renew your passport if it will expire within the six months following the completion of your study away program.

You are responsible for obtaining the necessary visas for the countries where you will travel. Look up visa requirements for your destination well in advance of your departure, as some countries have lengthy application processes or include requirements that take additional time to complete, such as HIV/AIDS testing, immunizations, background checks, etc. Your program or host university can often help you through this process.

U.S. Department of State on Passports

NAFSA’s information on Visas