2018 Senior Class Gift
What's the Senior Class Gift?
Through the Senior Class Gift (SCG), seniors have the opportunity to make their first contribution to the Macalester Annual Fund and pay it forward. Many senior parents and family members choose to honor their student’s Mac journey with a gift to the SCG.
The SCG goal is to reach 80 percent participation of seniors (we hope to beat the class of 2017’s 76 percent record).
We also encourage all of our senior parents and family members to make a contribution to the SCG.
Annual Fund gifts support financial aid, academic programs and departments, and all the distinctive and essential aspects of a Macalester education. The senior class gift is an opportunity to honor a professor or staff member who has positively impacted your Mac journey. Say thanks for your Macalester education and support the Mac experience for future generations.
The senior class gift effort has been a long-time Macalester College tradition.
See past results.
What does the Annual Fund support?
Senior Class Gift Myths
My participation doesn’t make a difference.
Actually, everyone’s contributions make a huge difference! Macalester’s broad base of support enhances our strong reputation in the community and the value of a Macalester degree.
Participation is crucial to the SCG effort. Please give what you can and help us reach our goal!
I’m already paying tuition.
The comprehensive fee to attend Macalester covers 75 percent of the actual cost of the college’s programs; gifts from donors and income from the college’s endowment provide the remaining 25 percent.
Doesn’t Macalester have a huge endowment? Macalester doesn’t need my money.
The endowment revenue funds less than 40 percent of Macalester’s operating budget.The rest comes from tuition and fees and annual philanthropic support.
How do I give and how much is expected?
You can make a gift online at macalester.edu/giving.
Most seniors make a gift of at least $10. You can also become a monthly sustainer through the SCG. A gift of any amount will add up and help us reach our goal!
Many family members become monthly sustainers to ensure that their support of Macalester continues beyond their student’s graduation. The SCG is also an opportunity for families to consider joining our Grand Society with a leadership gift to honor their student.
Thank you for supporting the Senior Class Gift and Macalester College!