- Proposal Writing 101 Guide, from the Office of Research & Sponsored Programs at St. Catherine’s University
- Susan Stanford Friedman (English, U of Wisconsin-Madison), “Writing Effective Grant Proposals in the Humanities and Social Sciences.”
- Catalog of Domestic Federal Assistance Developing and Writing Grant Proposals
- University of Michigan: Proposal Writer’s Guide.
- Apply for Your First Grant, by Russ Olwell, Inside Higher Education.
- Manage Your Career: How Your Grant Proposal Compares, David A. Stone, The Chronicle of Higher Education
Agency Specific Guides and Guidelines
- NSF Programs and Guidelines
- NEH Programs and Guidelines
- NIH Guidelines
- ACLS Programs and Guidelines
- Fulbright Guidelines
- Other articles from specific programs
- ACLS: Writing Proposals for ACLS Fellowship Competitions, Christina Gillis (PDF – will download when clicked)
- NSF: How to Write a Successful NSF Preliminary Proposal, Joan Strassmann
- NSF Division of Undergraduate Education (DUE): A Guide for Proposal Writing