Sustainability and Environmental Justice During COVID-19
We are proud to be active members of our community who participate in movements, policy, and volunteering. For many of us, the COVID-19 crisis has shaken up our lives and maybe even separated us from our communities. But, we can remain connected virtually and fight for the causes we believe in during this virus in new ways. As a result, the Sustainability Office has launched a new event series focused on sharing participation opportunities and building momentum among ourselves. In addition, this page offers another opportunity for collaborative connection. We will continually update this page with opportunities our community members draw the Sustainability Office’s attention to.
Friday, April 10th at 12 pm: Sustainability and Environmental Action during COVID-19
If you missed our first panel with student activists during Covid-19, you can check out this recap
Thursday, April 16th at 5 pm: Food for Thought: Food Justice and Covid-19
Panel of Mac students speaking about food justice and the work they’re doing during Covid-19.
Thursday, April 23rd at 5 pm: Modeling Environmental Justice in the Sustainability Plan
Discussion on updating the Mac Sustainability Plan to include environmental justice and education as core principles.
- Add to our Activism During Covid-19 spreadsheet and share how you’re getting involved with sustainability and environmental justice where you’re living during COVID-19
- Take a look for ideas on how you can get more involved!
Tips on Taking Action during COVID-19
- Check out our Activism During Covid-19 spreadsheet below to see how people are taking action where you’re located. Don’t forget to add any opportunities you are aware of in your area!
- Try the Sustainability Office’s weekly sustainability challenge, posted in the Mac daily and the Office social media accounts
- Watch with the Civic Engagement Center website for opportunities in the Twin Cities
- Connect with Macalester clubs, including Sunrise at Mac
- Check out local organization websites to learn how to get involved
- Read what a panel of Mac student activists had to say about getting involved
- Ask friends or family members if they’re taking action or know how you can
- Email the Sustainability Office, or message our Instagram or Facebook accounts for ideas