Sustainability Advisory Committee
Macalester College has taken a leadership role in sustainability for higher education. In 2007, President Rosenberg signed the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment, which commits Macalester College to become climate neutral (i.e. no net greenhouse gas emissions). In 2000, President McPherson signed the Talloires Declaration, the first official statement made by university administrators of a commitment to environmental sustainability in higher education.
Mission of the Sustainability Advisory Committee
The mission of the Sustainability Advisory Committee is to oversee the implementation of the institutional commitments related to sustainability, including the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment and the Talloires Declaration. The committee will also recommend policies and practices which best reflect College’s commitment to an environmentally sustainable world. In addition, the committee will function as a conduit for information exchange about campus sustainability initiatives.
- Oversee the implementation of the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment.
- Oversee the implementation of the Talloires Declaration and other sustainability commitments.
- Draft policy recommendations and provide accurate information to the President and College community in order to promote and ensure conservation of resources, energy efficiency, waste reduction and recycling, emissions reduction, reliance on renewable energy sources and resources, healthy and safe environmental practices, and the sustainable operation of the College.
- Oversee sustainability planning efforts and annual sustainability data collection by the Sustainability Office.
- The Sustainability Manager will set the meeting schedule. The committee will meet at least twice a semester and meetings are open.
- The committee will be chaired by the Sustainability Manager.
- The membership will be comprised of:
- Three staff (including at least one exempt and one non-exempt member). Staff will be appointed by the Staff Advisory Council.
- Two faculty (one will be the chair of the Environmental Studies Department or designee)
- Four students (appointed by Macalester College student government)
- Faculty and Staff Members will be appointed for two year terms. Students will be appointed for one year terms.
- One alumni representative
- Ex-officio members will be:
- VP for Administration and Finance
- Associate Dean of the Faculty
- Director of Facilities
- Dean of Students (or designee)
- IGC Dean (or designee)
- Purchasing Manager
- Director of High Winds
- Sustainability Office professional staff
- Committee Records and Communication
- The Sustainability Advisory Committee utilizes the Sustainability Advisory Committee Moodle Group to communicate and store meeting agendas and minutes.
- Any Macalester community member with an active account can add themselves to this group.
- Christie Manning, Director of Sustainability
EX OFFICIO AND OTHER MEMBERS
- David Wheaton, VP for Administration and Finance
- Paul Overvoorde, Associate Dean of the Faculty
- Matt Rumpza, Purchasing and Accounts Payable Manager
- Nathan Lief, Director of Facilities Services
- Marcus Carrigan, Center for Study Away
- Deanna Seppanen, Director of High Winds
- Tamara Will, Sustainability Project Coordinator
- Kara Warren, International Student Programs
- Roopali Phadke, Chair – Environmental Studies
- Harry Waters Jr., Theater and Dance
- Jeff Conrod, ITS
- Kristi Fackel, Art and Art History
- Chris Schomer, Library
- MCSG Sustainability Officer
- Emma Harrison
- Diana Paz Garcia