Student Sustainability Opportunities
- The Sustainability Small Project Fund administratively and financially supports ideas which promote sustainability through innovative actions as well as advance Macalester’s Sustainability goals. Projects are funded up to $1,000
- Looking for more information as to how you can work in sustainability in the future? Take a look at our career guide, Sustainability Outside Mac.
- The Sustainability Office has created the Model College Residence Guide.
- The Sustainability Office maintains a list of Sustainable Transportation Options.
- Interested in eating out at sustainable restaurants? Try one of the restaurants listed by Family Fest tagged with a sustainability rating. Family Fest Restaurants.
- Living off campus and unsure how to improve your energy efficiency? Contact Home Energy Squad for a free consultation. Make an appointment for a team to come to your home, assess its efficiency, and install efficiency-boosting products.
- Learn about your off-campus home energy usage by borrowing the Sustainability Office’s Killawatt home energy monitor! Contact the Sustainability Office to use the Monitor.
Fossil Free Mac engages the Macalester community on issues of climate justice, especially fossil fuel divestment at Macalester and more broadly socially responsible investment. Fossil Free Mac
Macalester Community Action for Resiliency, Environmentalism, and Sustainability (MacCARES) is an organization dedicated to bringing the advances in conservation practices and renewable energy to Macalester. MacCARES
MacBike helps and teaches our campus community how to repair their bikes, plans group rides and biking-themed events, and works to promote cycling as an accessible and environmentally friendly form of transportation. MacBike maintains the full-service bike workshop located in the Doty basement.
Macalester Urban Land and Community Health (MULCH) is the student organization that tends the garden near the language houses, sells produce to Bon Appetit, and raises awareness of sustainable agriculture. MULCH
Outing Club offers adventure in the great outdoors through inexpensive trips, reasonable gear rental and expedition planning assistance. email@example.com
National Organizations for Campus Sustainability
- AASHE – The Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) has a detailed website that includes a tremendous amount of useful information for students, staff or faculty interested in campus sustainability. Macalester College is a member; students, staff and faculty can register for free access to their materials.
- National Wildlife Federation’s Campus Ecology Program
- University Leaders for a Sustainable Future
- US Partnership for the Decade of Education for Sustainable Development
- Global Higher Education for Sustainability Partnership