A wide range of internship possibilities are available throughout the Twin Cities Metro area. Internships may be developed by the individual student to fit specific interests, they may be arranged through a contact made by your advisor or another professor on campus, or, they may be acquired through postings in the Internship Office.
No matter how the internship is arranged, all internship contracts for course credit must be made through the Internship Office. The internship office staff are invaluable resources and advisors for any student contemplating an internship. This office is the first stop you should make in planning an internship.
Internships encompass many areas in Urban Studies and can be tailor-made to fit special interests or incorporate learning from minor programs. Recent Urban Studies internships include Neighborhood Planning for Community Revitalization, the Neighborhood Development Center, the East Side Neighborhood Development Corporation, Minnesota Department of Planning and Economic Development, Minnesota Alliance for Progressive Action, and the Summit University Planning Council.
Internships are an integral part of the Urban Studies Program. Student may get help from Macalester’s Internship Program in finding and arranging internships. Typical internships might include positions at the Minnesota Legislature, urban planning departments and other community agencies.
- Ben Vargo ’16 (Snohomish, WA), Neighborhood Energy Connection, GIS intern
- Jon Riddle ’16 (Minneapolis, MN), Frogtown Community Radio, programming intern
- Gabrielle Anderson ’16 (Winona, MN), Gardening Matters, community outreach intern
- Benjamin Schwed ’15 (New York, NY), Transit for Livable Communities, research intern
- Charles Stanton ’15 (Chicago, IL), Council on Crime and Justice, legal research intern
- Maria Dewees ’14 (Chevy Chase, MD), Second Harvest Heartland, outreach coordinator
- Meg O’Halloran ’13 (Shaker Heights, OH), Frogtown Neighborhood Association, affordable housing research intern
- Diego Ruiz ’12 (San Francisco, CA), Minnesota Public Radio, Morning Edition intern