If you have experienced a recent sexual assault:

Call someone for support (trusted friend/911/RA/Security)

SOS Sexual Violence Services of Ramsey County 24-hour confidential crisis hotline: 651-266-1000
A trained advocate can talk you though your options, as well as accompany you to the hospital and provide information, support, and advocacy during the evidence collection process.

On-Call Residential Life Staff 651-696-6215
Can support you as you decide what you’d like to do and can connect you to appropriate resources.

Campus Security 651-696-6555
Available as a first option to report a crime and can arrange for the support and assistance you need.

Sexual Assault & Harassment Support Team (SAST)
Reach out to any of these trained volunteer staff and faculty members who can offer support or guidance in the process, as well as referrals. 

Get medical attention

Both your physical and emotional well-being are important. You could have an internal injury, a sexually transmitted disease, or become pregnant. A medical exam could also provide important evidence for prosecution. If you go to a hospital for evidence collection and medical attention, law enforcement officers are able to take your statement at the hospital, if you choose to file a report with the police. 

If you are considering reporting your assault to law enforcement, it is best to get a forensic exam as soon as possible after the assault. Best forensic results are collected within 5 days (120 hours) of the assault, but Ramsey County will now conduct forensic exams for up to 10 days (240 hours) after the assault. Even if you miss this window of time, you are still encouraged to seek medical care. 

If you suspect you have experienced a drug facilitated sexual assault or were given what’s commonly called a “date rape drug” go to the hospital immediately. These drugs can harm you and any evidence of the drug leaves the body quickly.

Don’t bathe, shower, or change clothes

Washing or changing clothes may remove forensic evidence. If you do bathe, shower, douche, or change clothes, a hospital will still provide a forensic evidence exam. If you can, bring the clothes you were wearing at the time of the assault along with you to the hospital (in a plastic bag) for evidence collection. 

Make a report

Making a report is not the same as pressing charges or deciding to go through campus disciplinary proceedings. You can make a report with the Office of Title IX & Equity or the police even if you are unsure if you want to move forward with any formal process. The decision is completely up to you and can be decided at a later time. A member of the campus Sexual Assault & Harassment Support Team can assist you in preparing or making a report.

Reporting Procedures