Support For Survivors
Because We Are Not Alone (BWANA) A confidential, on-campus group offering support and facilitating healing and coping. Open to Macalester students of any gender who have experienced sexual violence (sexual assault, rape, sexual exploitation, and other forms of non-consensual sexual contact). To join the confidential group, contact Hamre Center for Health & Wellness Counselor Liz Schneider-Bateman at email@example.com or 651-696-6204.
- View resources for African American Women Survivors.
- View resources for South Asian Women Survivors.
- View resources for Asian, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander Survivors.
- View resources for Latin@ Survivors.
- View resources for Male Survivors.
- View information about Queer Survivor. Queer Survivor is a free, confidential, off-campus support group for LGBTQ survivors of intimate partner violence or past or present sexual abuse. It is facilitated by the Anti-Violence Program of OutFront Minnesota and meets weekly at the Minneapolis offices of OutFront Minnesota. To learn more or sign up, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- View resources for LGBTQ Survivors.
- View resources for LGBTQ Survivors of Partner Violence.
- View resources for Transgender and Gender-Nonconforming Survivors.
- View resources for Transgender Survivors.
Books and Readings
The Rape Recovery Handbook: Step-by-Step Help for Survivors of Sexual Assault – Aphrodite Matsakis
Quest for Respect: A Healing Guide for Survivors of Rape – Linda Braswell
Beyond Our Control: Restructuring Your Life After Sexual Assault – Leila Ray Summerfield
Still Loved by the Sun: A Rape Survivor’s Journal – Migael Scherer
Voices of Courage A book by twelve survivors of sexual assault – edited by Mike Domitrz
The PTSD Workbook: Simple, Effective Techniques for Overcoming Traumatic Stress Symptoms – Mary Beth Williams and Soili Poijula
Courage to Heal: A Guide for Women Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse – Ellen Bass & Laura Davis.
The Sexual Healing Journey: A Guide for Survivors of Sexual Abuse – Wendy Malz
Healing the Trauma of Abuse: A Woman’s Workbook by Mary Ellen Copeland and Maxine Harris
The Survivor’s Guide to Sex: How to Have an Empowered Sex Life After Childhood Sexual Abuse by Staci Haines
It Happened to Me: A Teen’s Guide to Overcoming Sexual Abuse by William Lee Carter
The Courage to Heal Workbook: For Women and Men survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse – Laura Davis
Allies in Healing: When the Person you Love was Sexually Abused as a Child, For family, friends, and partners of survivors – Laura Davis
Victims No Longer: The Classic Guide for Men Recovering from Sexual Child Abuse – Mike Lew
If you are looking for additional support and resources for survivors of sexual violence, check out the Support Resources page. To find other organizations that are working to end and prevent sexual violence, check out RAINN Resources and References. You might also check out the websites below.
View the One Student Website.
One Student provides programs, resources, and opportunities to for students and allies to help address sexual violence.
View the Pandora’s Project Website.
Pandora’s Project offers a message board and chat room, free lending library, and numerous articles and resources. They welcome all survivors of sexual violence. Has links to handouts on healthy sexuality after sexual assault, as well as many other issues concerning sexual assault.
View the After Silence Website.
After Silence was designed to help victims become survivors, and communicate in the recovery of sexual violence. Their mission is to support, empower, validate, and educate survivors, as well as their families and supporters. The core of their organization is a support group, message board, and chat room where victims and survivors come together online in a mutually supportive and safe environment.
Visit the Healthysex.com Website.
Healthysex.com is committed to promoting healthy sexuality, with particular attention to survivors of sexual abuse.