651-696-6866 (fax )
1600 Grand Avenue
St. Paul, MN
The Admissions and Financial Aid Offices are located at 62 Macalester Street.
Student loans that are not part of the Federal Student Aid program are often referred to as “alternative”, “supplemental”, or “private” loans.
We recommend that students first apply for financial aid before considering an alternative loan. Most students who apply for financial aid may participate in the Federal Direct Loan program, even if they do not qualify for financial aid. Please review federal loan options including the parent Direct PLUS Loan before pursuing an alternative loan.
To assist you in your search for an alternative loan, we have provided a list in alphabetical order (below) of the alternative loan lenders that Macalester students have accessed in the past three school years (since Fall 2012). Please understand that you may select any lender for your educational loans. You are not required to select a lender from this list.
- Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union - Student Loan
- Bank of North Dakota - Deal Loan
- Charter One - TruFit Student Loan
- Discover Student Loans - Private Loan
- Elements Credit Union - Student Loan
- GESA Federal Credit Union - Student Loan
- Kentucky Higher Education Student Loan Corporation - Advantage Education Loan
- Massachusetts Education Financing Authority -MEFA Loan
- Minnesota Office of Higher Education -Student Education Loan Fund (SELF Loan)
- New Jersey HESAA - NJCLASS Loan
- Rhode Island Student Loan Authority - RISLA Loan
- Sallie Mae - Smart Option Student Loan
- Thrivent Federal Credit Union - Student Loan
- UW Credit Union - Private Student Loan
- Wells Fargo Student Loan- Collegiate Loan
Your lender will ask you to complete a Self-Certification form. The Self-Certification form will be provided by your lender. Please be sure to respond to the request for the Self-Certification form and all disclosure statements in order to avoid delays in delivery of your loan funds.