Kagin Commons, First Floor
M-F. 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
S-TH, 7 p.m.-10 p.m.
The Macalester Academic Excellence (MAX) Center supports Macalester students in their efforts toward academic success and educational independence and fosters a community of intellectually engaged, life-long learners. We offer personalized tutoring across the curriculum and at all skill levels, provide support for those with disabilities, and work with professors to strengthen student learning.
In collaboration with the Department of Multicultural Life, we also coordinate the Emerging Scholars Program, an intentional learning community for multi-racial students and students of color. Ultimately, we hope to respond to the multiplicity of strengths and needs of students by creating an empowering, non-evaluative learning environment.
Did you know?
- In 2010-2011, the MAX Center received over 2000 visits.
- MAX Center tutors are certified through the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA).
- The MAX Center and the Chemistry department have teamed up to pilot a Supplemental Instruction program in Chemistry 111 and 112.
- We work with alumni and community members.
- The MAX Center is a Green Star Certified office, since June 2012.