Carnegie Hall, Room 310
Why Mac for Economics?
Economics at Macalester means a wealth of opportunities both in and beyond the classroom.
- Collaborative research. Faculty and advanced undergraduate students frequently undertake collaborative research on cutting edge questions. Funding is available for summertime research, and honors projects give students the chance to complete long-term independent projects on fascinating topics. Such collaborative efforts often yield publishable papers, look impressive on resumes, and make for great conversation in interviews.
- Quantitative skills. With one of the first computerized econometrics labs in the country, we combine advanced statistical programs with unique, interactive teaching methods. Students gain extensive experience in data processing, coding, estimation and graphing.
- International classmates. More than half of Econ majors at Mac are international students. When you’re discussing currency valuation in China, sustainable development in the Serengeti, or finance in Dubai, chances are you’re in class with someone who’s seen it firsthand.
- Career oriented. Many classes are practice-focused, providing quantitative, accounting, and financial knowledge and skills that are in demand for real jobs. Our faculty members bring their expertise and industry experience to bear in consulting with you on career development, graduate school applications, internship and job interviews.
- Fortune 500 companies. The Twin Cities are home to 20 such companies, including United Health Group, Target Corp., Best Buy, 3M, General Mills, and Medtronic. This means easy access to internship opportunities and job openings at these companies as well as places like Merrill Lynch, the Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank, and the African Development Center (micro- enterprise).
- Job placement. Our students land jobs, across the country and around the world in investment banks, commercial banks, consulting firms, insurance companies, the federal government, think tanks, businesses and international organizations.
- Urban location. Our urban location lets students make the most of top companies, professional sports, 949 lakes, 58 theaters, 30 museums, 51 night clubs and a strong system of public transportation to get to them.