Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
DML Mission Statement
The mission of the Department of Multicultural Life (DML) is to provide transformative leadership in creating a Macalester community that is equitable, inclusive, and socially just for everyone.
- Foster and promote a welcoming and pluralistic environment that is inclusive of the entire college community.
- Identify, assess, and promote social justice for the campus community.
- Integrate and affirm the peoples, discourses, thoughts, and experiences of marginalized people into the fabric of the Macalester community.
- Create partnerships with academic and administrative departments to infuse anti-oppression education throughout all aspects of campus life.
Our annual end of the year event celebrates and recognizes students, staff, and faculty for their contributions to multicultural education on campus throughout the year.
This reception, co-sponsored by the DML, the Office of Student Affairs, and the Fund for Lavender Life, celebrates the queer community at Macalester and is an opportunity for LGBTQ students to learn about resources and support networks on and off campus.
This annual celebration is a recognition and celebration of Macalester's LGBTQ graduating seniors. Sponsored by the DML, Campus Programs, Alumni Relations, and the Office of Student Affairs/Fund for Lavender Life.
Rites of Passage
This annual graduation ceremony recognizes and honors the contributions of Macalester's graduating students of color. Sponsored by the DML and the Alumni Office.
Trending @ DML
Students of Color Mixer / Alumni & Students of Color Connect / Meet the New LSC Director
Thursday, September 10th from 5-7pm (Kagin 1st Floor)
This program is designed to be an opportunity for students of color at Macalester to get to know each other more and find community on campus. This event will also be the launch of the Alumni & Students of Color Connect program as well as a meet and greet with the new LSC Director, Aida Martinez-Freeman.
Cultural House Block Party
Sunday, September 13th from 3-5pm (37 Macalester Street)
The Macalester community is invited to join the C-House Block Party. During this annual event, there will be snow cones, popcorn, karaoke, arts and crafts, games, and of course wonderful people. It'll be fun for the whole family ! Hope to see you there!
Identity Collectives Social-Informational / LSC Director Reception
Friday, September 18th from 4:30-6:30pm (Kagin 1st Floor)
This event will give students the opportunity to hear about the perspectives and experiences of students who are current members of identity collectives and the opportunity to select the collective(s) they would like to join. This event will also be an opportunity for students to meet and greet with the new LSC Director, Aida Martinez-Freeman.
The LSC’s Identity Collectives provide spaces for identity exploration and support around the intersections of race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, nationality, ability, and socioeconomic status. Collectives give students the opportunity to build community and talk together within their specific collectives and in inter-group dialogues between all of the collectives. Each collective group is facilitated by trained students and staff.
Whether or not we understand the power of our words, we still use them. So what kind of impact do you want to make?
- Sep 10 Students of Color Mixer/Alumni & Students of Color Connect/Meet the New LSC Director
- Sep 11 Kagin Ice Cream Social
- Sep 13 Cultural House Block Party
- Sep 18 LSC Director Reception & Identity Collectives Social/Informational
- Sep 24 The Allies Project Training
- Oct 6 In the Kitchen With: This Matters @ Mac: Sexual Violence Prevention
To receive the latest news about our programs & events.