Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
DML Mission Statement
The mission of the Department of Multicultural Life (DML) is to provide transformative leadership in creating a Macalester community that is equitable, inclusive, and socially just for everyone.
- Foster and promote a welcoming and pluralistic environment that is inclusive of the entire college community.
- Identify, assess, and promote social justice for the campus community.
- Integrate and affirm the peoples, discourses, thoughts, and experiences of marginalized people into the fabric of the Macalester community.
- Create partnerships with academic and administrative departments to infuse anti-oppression education throughout all aspects of campus life.
Our annual end of the year event celebrates and recognizes students, staff, and faculty for their contributions to multicultural education on campus throughout the year.
This reception, co-sponsored by the DML, the Office of Student Affairs, and the Fund for Lavender Life, celebrates the queer community at Macalester and is an opportunity for LGBTQ students to learn about resources and support networks on and off campus.
This annual celebration is a recognition and celebration of Macalester's LGBTQ graduating seniors. Sponsored by the DML, Campus Programs, Alumni Relations, and the Office of Student Affairs/Fund for Lavender Life.
Rites of Passage
This annual graduation ceremony recognizes and honors the contributions of Macalester's graduating students of color. Sponsored by the DML and the Alumni Office.
Trending @ DML
Soup & Substance: Intersectionality and Feminism
Thursday, September 24th from 11:45am-1pm (Kagin Lower Level)
Soup & Substance is a monthly lunch series that brings students, staff, and faculty together to engage in conversational dialogue. Soup is provided, and participants engage in conversations about various topics with panelists who represent diverse cultural backgrounds. This month's topic is Intersectionality and Feminism, discussing the importance of diversity in feminist movements.
In the kitchen with... This matters @ Mac
Tuesday, October 6th from 6pm-7:30pm (C-House: 37 Macalester Street)
Come eat free, yummy, delicious food with us and learn about sexual violence prevention efforts at Macalester!
(An)other story circle: feminism and religion
Tuesday, October 20th from 11:45am-1pm (Weyerhaeuser Chapel basement)
Ever wonder how strong women of faith incorporate their feminism into their religion? Everyone has a different conception of feminism, and everyone practices religion differently. How do people reconcile two bodies of knowledge that may seem contradictory at first? Join us to listen to the stories of faculty, staff, as well as some of your Macalester peers across various faiths of their experiences with feminism while living out their faith on October 15th, 11:45 am- 1:00pm in the Weyerhaeuser Chapel basement. A light lunch will be provided.
Whether or not we understand the power of our words, we still use them. So what kind of impact do you want to make?
- Oct 3 Identity Collective Retreat
- Oct 6 White Identity Collective
- Oct 6 "In the Kitchen with This Matters @ Mac: Sexual Violence Prevention"
- Oct 6 In the Kitchen With: This Matters @ Mac: Sexual Violence Prevention
- Oct 7 Scots Pride Alumni-Student Mixer
- Oct 15 Surely the Stories Exist to be Told
To receive the latest news about our programs & events.