DML Mission Statement
The mission of the Department of Multicultural Life (DML) is to provide transformative leadership in creating a Macalester community that is equitable, inclusive, and socially just for everyone.
- Foster and promote a welcoming and pluralistic environment that is inclusive of the entire college community.
- Identify, assess, and promote social justice for the campus community.
- Integrate and affirm the peoples, discourses, thoughts, and experiences of marginalized people into the fabric of the Macalester community.
- Create partnerships with academic and administrative departments to infuse anti-oppression education throughout all aspects of campus life.
Interested in Engaging with the DML?
Let us know by completing our DML Interest Sheet
- Oct 8 How We GLOW: Exploring LGBTQ+ Youth Identity Through Interview Theater
- Oct 11 Story Circles: National Coming Out Day
Our annual end of the year event celebrates and recognizes students, staff, and faculty for their contributions to multicultural education on campus throughout the year.
This annual celebration is a recognition and celebration of Macalester's LGBTQ graduating seniors. Sponsored by the DML, Campus Programs, Alumni Relations, and the Office of Student Affairs/Fund for Lavender Life.
Rites of Passage
This annual graduation ceremony recognizes and honors the contributions of Macalester's graduating students of color. Sponsored by the DML and the Alumni Office.
Apply to Participate in the C-House Poetry Slam
The C-House Poetry Slam, an annual Cultural House tradition, is a spoken word competition where students perform self-written pieces that explore topics of identity, self, and social justice. If you are interested in participating in this year's Poetry Slam, fill out this application by 5 p.m., Thursday, October 6.
This year's applicants will be selected so that a diversity of experience levels, viewpoints, and social identities are represented in the show. You will be notified by October 11 if you have been selected to participate. Additional information about the participation requirements is in the application.
If you have any questions or concerns, contact Demetrius Colvin at firstname.lastname@example.org.