Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
DML Mission Statement
The mission of the Department of Multicultural Life (DML) is to provide transformative leadership in creating a Macalester community that is equitable, inclusive, and socially just for everyone.
The goals of the DML are to:
- Foster and promote a welcoming and pluralistic environment that is inclusive of the entire college community.
- Identify, assess, and promote social justice for the campus community.
- Integrate and affirm the peoples, discourses, thoughts, and experiences of marginalized people into the fabric of the Macalester community.
- Create partnerships with academic and administrative departments to infuse anti-oppression education through all aspects of campus life.
The Department of Multicultural Life (DML), through the Lealtad-Suzuki Center, the Cultural House, and other initiatives, provides leadership in supporting Macalester's stated purpose "to prepare people to become intellectually vital and productive citizen leaders in a world that includes a multiplicity of cultures, perspectives, and needs." We believe that campus diversity can lead to intentional educational opportunities both in and out of the classroom. Macalester strives to encourage and maintain an optimal learning environment that honors multiple perspectives and works toward equity and social justice. The DML provides leadership to the campus community to help address these efforts with intention and integrity.
Celebration for the various multicultural moments at Macalester
This reception, co-sponsored by the DML, Campus Programs, and the Office of Student Affairs, celebrates the queer community at Macalester and is an opportunity for LGBTQ students to learn about resources and support networks on and off campus.
For graduating LGBTQ seniors
Rites of Passage
This annual graduation celebration, co-sponsored by the DML and Campus Programs, honors Macalester's graduating students of color.
More than words campaign
- "Whether or not we understand the power of our words, we still use them. So what kind of impact do you want to make?"
- Visit the More Than Words website to learn more.
- Mar 11 An(Other) Story at the Cultural House
- Mar 13 "Exodus Politics" with Dr. Robert Patterson - A Women's History Month Colloquium
- Mar 28 Banaz: A Love Story Film Screening
- Apr 3 Soup & Substance Lunch Series
- Apr 3 Allies Project: Training for New Allies
- Apr 5 Reading Rainbow with the DML
To receive the latest news about our program.