Every year seniors do extended original work in their area of interest. Below are is a sampling of projects from our students. Get more information about each project in Digital Commons.
- Drake Andersen ’09 (Chicago, Ill.), “Confianza for choir and string quartet”
- Ian Christopher Boswell ’09 (State College, Pa.), “Fifth Wheel for Jazz Band”
- Daniel Pickens-Jones ’08 (Santa Clara, Calif.), “Mysticism, Whimsy, and Obscurity in Benjamin Britten’s ‘Sacred and Profane: Eight Medieval Lyrics’”
The Music Department at Macalester College welcomes all student musicians to take part in classes, lessons, ensembles, and special projects that celebrate music as both a source of beauty and an agent for positive change. The Music Department strives to combine the practice of music with its critical interrogation, recognizing that the study of music is at root an ethical pursuit, a means by which we learn to imagine empathy with others.
Recent Topics Courses
- American Pop, Rockabilly and Soul, 1954–64
- Musical Performance and Interpretation
- Improvisation and the Creative Impulse
- Chinese Music