Ensemble Audition Information
- The Macalester African Music Ensemble, founded in 1987 and directed by Sowah Mensah, performs traditional African music primarily from Ghana, but also from Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Guinea, The Gambia, Kenya, and Tanzania.
- Directed by Chuen-Fung Wong, the Macalester Asian Music Ensemble performs traditional and modern music from East and Central Asia.
- The Chamber Music program at Macalester is coordinated by Mark Mandarano, and offers an opportunity to explore and perform repertoire for small ensembles.
The Chorale is the large choral ensemble of Macalester College, directed by Michael McGaghie. The Concert Choir is the advanced, select vocal ensemble of Macalester College, directed by Michael McGaghie.
- Directed by Brazilian recorder player Cléa Galhano, the Macalester Early Music Ensemble focuses on Renaissance and Baroque repertory.
- Jazz and Pop Combos are forums for students to receive coaching in the performance of standards and/or original music, directed by Peter Hennig.
- Mac Jazz, directed by Joan Griffith, is an 18-piece big band that performs and records classic and contemporary big band jazz.
- The Macalester Symphony Orchestra is a select ensemble of 50-60 students conducted by Mark Mandarano.
- Directed by Mike Breidenbach, the Macalester College Pipe Band is comprised of students, faculty, alumni, and community members, who are all dedicated to playing the bagpipes and drums at the highest level.
- The Wind Symphony provides an opportunity for Macalester students to rehearse and perform the concert literature for winds and percussion, under the direction of Shelley Hanson.
a cappella groups and other student-run ensembles
For info about student-run a cappella groups such as Sirens, Off-Kilter, Scotch Tape, Trads, Chromactics and Flying Fingers, see the Student Organization Directory.