Performance Review Requirements
- All Music Majors and Music Minors who are taking lessons are required to perform a 15-minute performance review on their primary instrument each semester. Students are expected to prepare three pieces in contrasting styles. Excerpts are acceptable for longer pieces. No performance reviews on secondary instruments are given. (Piano for proficiency lessons, however, do have exams at the end of each semester.)
- Performance reviews are normally (but not always) held on Study Days. Please contact the Music Department Coordinator for details.
- Sign-up sheets will be outside the Music Department Office (M201) one week prior to reviews.
- Students who give Senior Recitals are exempt from this requirement during the semester of the recital.
- Unless a piece was composed as unaccompanied, students are expected to perform with accompaniment. (Contact the Department Coordinator for contact information for the Staff accompanists.)
- A subcommittee of the Music Department’s continuing full-time faculty will hear these reviews.
- Studio instructors are required to fill out grade/comment sheets and return them to the Department Coordinator before performance reviews take place.
- Faculty jurors will have the grade/comment sheets on hand for the performance reviews; they will also fill out their own comment sheet during the performance review.
- Students will be emailed copies of all of these forms.
- Studio instructors are invited (but not expected) to attend performance reviews. However, the department cannot arrange the reviews around each studio instructor’s individual schedule. Should an instructor wish to attend any or all of their students’ reviews, s/he must either keep the entire block of time open on both days, or require their students to sign up in a block during a time that is convenient for them.
Studio Instruction Grading Requirements
- Final grades for general students (i.e., those not doing an end-of-semester performance review) are determined wholly by the studio instructor, and are indicated on the grade sheets.
- Final grades for majors and minors are determined as follows: the studio instructor’s final grade for the semester of lessons counts as 80% of the final course grade; the grade assigned by the tenure-track faculty committee for the performance review itself counts as 20% of the final course grade. This is to ensure that the performance review is seen as an important part of the experience for Music majors and minors.
- Music Department faculty present at the performance review reserve the right to alter the final grade provided by the instructor, should any of the general requirements for studio instruction above (repertoire, memorization, public performance) not be met.