- Residential Life
- Residence Halls
- Language and Specialty Houses
- Living On Campus
- Policies and Procedures
- Student Leadership Opportunities
- Card Services
Campus Center 236
Macalester College Residence Hall Closing 2015
Residence Halls close for all students on Tuesday, May 12 at noon. Students check out 24 hours after their last final and those with a final on Monday May 11th must check out by noon on Tuesday, May 12.
Graduates and students asked to stay for performances at graduation may stay until Sunday, May 17 at Noon. We also permit students enrolled in a class at an ACTC institution with a later finals schedule and students transitioning to on-campus summer housing to stay on campus until after the final or summer hall check-in.
Leaving your Room in good condition
You will need to leave your room/suite/apartment/house in good/clean condition! This includes:
• Take all your belongings (double-check closets & drawers!) – take out trash/recycle/donate as outlined below
• Cleaning your room (vacuum, dust and wipe down all surfaces)
• Return your room to your original set-up from the fall when you arrived
• Leave your heat on the current setting you had it on during the regular year
• Remove everything from the walls including posters, pictures, tape, poster putty, etc.
• Close and lock your windows (interior and exterior) and close your curtains/blinds
• Turn off the lights & close and lock the door
• Proceed to your check-out as directed by the residence hall staff in your building
24-Hour Quiet Hours
24-Hour Quiet Hours start the night before Study Day on Tuesday, May 6 at 10:00 p.m. 24-Hour Quiet Hours end after the last final on Monday, May 12. Please be extra considerate of your residence hall community by keeping the noise you make to a minimum during the final exam period.
Trash and Recycling rooms will be locked and bins removed on Monday, May 5. Trash bags and cleaning supplies will arrive to designated areas on the floors and the hall offices. Students will be responsible for taking out their own trash and recycling on May 6th through closing. THINK GREEN! Sort your trash, recycling, and items you can donate!
The main trash/recycling/donation sites will be on Macalester Street by Wallace Hall, Underneath the Dupre Hall Underhang, and the South side of Kirk (by the Leonard Center). Those living in Veggie Co-op, & Houses will have smaller trash and recycling spots locally (please got to the other three locations listed for donations). Trash/Recycling/Donation Areas include:
• “Trash/Garbage” – anything you can’t recycle or donate!
• “Paper & Cardboard” – pretty self-explanatory
• “Recyclable Glass/Metal/Plastics” – Recyclable glass, tin or aluminum cans, #1 and #2 Plastics
• “Electronic Waste – E-Waste” – Electronics that are broken or obsolete
• “Usable Donations to the Fall Habitat for Humanity/Bonner Scholars Garage Sale” – items you would give a friend
2015 END OF YEAR CLOSING- SUMMER STORAGE INFORMATION:
General Storage Requirements for students living on campus Fall 2015
Only students with home addresses at least 300 miles outside of St. Paul, MN may store.
- Maximum items accepted: 4 reasonable size /tubs/trunks/boxes that student is able to lift and fit onto storage shelf.
- No access to storage rooms until returning student check-in on Sunday, August 30, 2015
Storage Out - Time to remove boxes, suitcases and other containers you stored during the semester.
- Thursday, April 30 through Sunday, May 3 from 8-10pm each night.Tuesday,
- Monday, May 4 (last day of classes) Storage closed for clean out
Storage In - Store to your Fall 2015 Residence Hall
- Thursday, May 7 and Friday May 8, 2015: 8-10pm
- Saturday May 9 and Sunday, May 10, 2015: 2-4pm and 8-10pm.
Preseason storage - Dupre Hall basement, 10K Lounge. For Students approved to move into their campus fall room assignments for preseason activities may store to Dupre Hall basement, 10K, before they leave campus.
- Preseason storage is open only to students with home addresses at least 300 from St. Paul, MN.
- Storage policies and hours are the same as general storage.
- Students will have access only to preseason storage, during the preseason period.
- General storage is not open during preseason.
Preseason students approved to arrive to campus during the last two weeks in August, may store items (max of four boxes/trunks/bins) in Dupre 10K. Preseason storage will open in August for students returning early for preseason activities.
Other: If you have other questions, please contact your RA, your RHD, or the Residential Life Office. Best wishes on a great rest of the semester!
Written materials outlining check-out procedures will be available to students via this web site.
- Students should note the closing procedures for their rooms noted above. Students who do not follow the check-out procedures may be held financially accountable through fees and fines.
- All college owned furniture must be returned to the student's room and reset to its original design (either lofted or delofted, beds on the middle-settings, and bunked/debunked). Beds must also be reassembled correctly.
- Students are expected to check-out 24 hours after their last final exam. Residents who live internationally, have transportation problems, or have extenuating circumstances should talk to the Residential Life office to receive permission to stay in the halls past the official closing date. Students who check out of the halls late may incur substantial fees with the minimum fee for an improper check-out starting at $100. Please be aware of your responsibility to manage your time in order to avoid an improper check-out fee. Returning students who refuse to leave the halls at their designated time will risk having their housing contract rescinded for the coming year.
- Students who choose to become involved in conduct within the last few days of the semester may be asked to leave the halls immediately.
Summer Housing 2016
Summer Housing in Kirk Hall: Monday, May 16, 2016 through Friday, August 5, 2016
Summer Meal Plans: Wednesday, June 1 through Friday, August 5, 2016
Room $10.00 per day
Minimum summer stay is three weeks. Cost is $210.00 and $70.00 for each additional week.
Board (required): Board: cost TBD May 31 - August 5
Summer Housing room and board charges will be added to students’ billing accounts by May 15th. Payment is due by June 15, 2016. If you have questions regarding payment of these charges, please contact the Student Accounts Office.
Applications are due by Friday, April 22, 2016. If your application is not accepted you will be contacted. Room assignments announced by Friday, May 13, 2016.
Eligibility Requirements for Summer Housing:
Students with outstanding spring semester charges will not be approved for summer housing until the outstanding balance is paid. Contact the Student Accounts Office if you have questions about your student billing account.
Current Macalester College students are eligible to live on-campus for the following reasons:
- Working on campus for Macalester College
- Registered for an internship or independent study
- Registered for the Physics Institute
- Awarded Summer Research Housing
Students planning to live on campus for research programs must check in by May 31st, in order to have time to fulfill the 10-week housing option. No check-ins permitted after July 15, 2016. Summer Housing ends on August 5, 2016. Minimum summer housing is three weeks.
The Summer Meal Plan (Every day including weekends):
Lunch - 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Dinner - 5:00-6:00 p.m.
Also, Breakfast will be served while some summer conferences are on campus.
Summer Transition Storage:
Some storage will be available for students that will not move directly into summer housing at the end of the spring semester. Students who will live on-campus in the Fall may use temporary summer storage for one (1) reasonably sized box for the time between their spring departure and return to summer housing and the time between their summer departure and return for fall housing. Storage space is not guaranteed due to limited space.
If you have any questions regarding summer housing, please contact the Residential Life Office at x6215. We look forward to assisting you and your students in your summer projects.
Preseason 2015 - August 17 - August 27, 2015
Athletes, Resident Assistants, Orientation Leaders, special program participants, and others may be asked to return to campus before Residence Halls open for fall semester. Sponsoring departments will submit preseason housing requests and rosters to Residential Life in March and April. Residential Life will notify students of their approved preseason check-in date before they leave campus in the spring. New students approved for preseason activities will be notified in early August.
Students: The person in charge of your program will inform you of the date when you should arrive on campus. Any student arriving early without approval from Residential Life or before their scheduled preseason check-in date will incur an early arrival fee.