651-696-6555 (24 hour)
651-696-6278 (business hours)
What to do During a Utility Failure
In the event you smell Natural Gas (a odor that smells like rotten eggs):
- Leave the building at once. See building evacuation meeting place map.
- Do not turn on or turn off any lights.
- Do not turn on or turn off any appliance.
- Do not use any telephone or cell phone in the building or house.
- Do not sound the fire alarm.
- From another location (the house or building next door).
- Call 911.
- Call XCEL Gas Emergency 1- 800-895-2999.
- Call Macalester Safety and Security at 651-696-6555.
In the event of utility failure water, electric, heat immediately call the Facilities Services Office at 651-696-6278, after hours call 651-696-6555. Be prepared to give the following information:
- Your name (or other person to contact) and telephone extension.
- Building name.
- Room number.
In the event of a campus wide electrical failure the phones and computers may not work for a short period until power is restored.
During a power outage, areas that do not have sufficient natural light to clearly see exit corridors, exit stairs, or exit doors should be evacuated while emergency lights are still on. Emergency lighting is temporary and is not provided to continue building operations.
- Remain calm.
- Do not light candles or other flames as they could ignite an explosion.
- Turn off all lights and unplug all electrical equipment, including computers.
- Assist disabled person/s in exiting the building, See building evacuation meeting place map.
- If evacuation is required, secure all experiments and shut off research gases. All chemicals should be stored in their original locations. Fully open fume hoods. If this is not possible or natural ventilation is inadequate, evacuate the laboratory until power is returned.
Do not return to a building until told to do so by campus security
What Will Happen Next
Safety and Security will contact the proper response team to restore utilities. Security officers will secure all outside doors and will assist with emergency requests for assistance. Inside offices and classrooms should be vacated to naturally lit areas.
KEEP YOURSELF CALM - KEEP OTHERS CALM
In an emergency, call 911 and Campus Security 651-696-6555. Give your campus location and describe the emergency situation.
Life, health or safety threat: 911
Emergency or to Report a Crime: 651-696-6555
Office : 651-696-6278
Office location: Music Building M002
Business hours: 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Security and SAFEwalk available 24/7
SAFEWalk Service: 651-696-6699