In an effort to increase accessibility and enhance security, Macalester College has recently completed a project upgrading access control hardware and software. As part of this project, the magstripe readers have been replaced with “contactless” card readers and we have upgraded to a new software package.  The new software package allows us to link with other databases used on campus, which will ultimately reducing the length of time it will take for cards to become active.  In addition, electronic access will be added to the exteriors of 77 Mac, Weyerhaeuser, Carnegie, Old Main, and the Chapel.

Card Access Links
Phone: 651-696-6218
GET Online

Card Access

By default, staff and faculty will be granted general (exterior) access to academic and administrative buildings (not including Campus Center, Leonard Center, or the Library).  Faculty and staff who require additional access to office space, labs or classrooms, should contact their Department Coordinator.

All students will receive access to academic buildings during school hours with extended study hours as well as access to the Library link.  Students living in on-campus housing will be given access to their Resident Halls.  Additional access can be requested through your Department Coordinator.

Note for Department Coordinators: To avoid unauthorized requests, the link for the online card access request form is not publicly available. If you do not have the link yet, please email

Resolving Issues:

How to I get Access to an area or building?

Contact the Department Coordinators responsible for the area and request access.  Please allow 5 days after the Coordinator submits the request for processing.

What do I do if my access is not working and it should?

Verify the access has been requested and then contact Security Card Access at or call 651-696-6218.  When contacting Card Access, in addition to the problem you are experiencing, please provide your full name, MAC ID number, and the iClass number from the back of your MacPass.


I think a card reader or door lock is not working properly.

Report the issue through email at or call 651-696-6218.  If the malfunctioning lock creates a security risk (door is unlocked), call Security immediately at 612-696-6555.

I lost my MacPass.

You can deactivate your MacPass by going through your GET funds account online or using the GET Mobile app.  Deactivating a lost card will prevent unauthorized charges against your account and misuse of your campus access.  If you find your card, it can be activated again using the same app, otherwise you can go to card services and get a replacement card (replacement card fee $5.00).  For additional information, visit the MacPass page.

Key Requests

Non-residence hall keys are issued at the Facilities Services Office and can be requested using the forms provided below. Student residence hall keys are issued by Residential Life.

Key Access Request Forms

Report a problem with a lock or key

Lost & Late Key Charges

There is a charge for lost keys; you will be charged $30.00 per key. Cash or check payments are accepted for lost keys charges. Students may also have their student account charged. For keys returned late, a fee of $10.00 per key will be charged.