- Employment Services
- Employment Opportunities
- Community Benefits
- Dependent Tuition Assistance (DTAP)
- Disability Insurance
- Domestic Partners
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Leaves of Absence
- Legal Plan (MetLaw)
- Life Insurance / AD&D
- Long Term Care Insurance
- Time Off Benefits
- Travel Assistance
- Wellness & Wellbeing
- Worker's Compensation
- Plan Documents, SPD's, & Notices
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Professional Development
- Student Employment
- Wellness & Wellbeing
77 Mac Room 201
We provide both Basic Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) insurance through Sun Life Financial. This coverage is paid in full for you by Macalester College. Please note payroll taxes will be deducted on premiums for basic life amounts over $50,000 per IRS regulations.
Basic Life Plan Highlights
- Employees are covered by a basic term life insurance benefit equal to one times annual earnings up to $500,000 maximum. This amount decreases at age 70 and again at age 75.
- Accelerated Benefit: This plan will pay benefits in the event you become terminally ill as defined in the master contract.
- Conversion and Portability: This plan is fully convertible or portable upon termination of your employment with us. Premiums become your responsibility at that time.
Accidental Death and Dismemberment Plan Highlights
- Employees are covered by an AD&D benefit equal to one times annual earnings up to $500,000 maximum. This amount decreases at age 70 and again at age 75.
- Repatriation Benefit: Up to $5,000 may be available in the event your eligible surviving dependents require repatriation services.
- Education Benefit: For each qualified surviving child, an education benefit may be available in the amount of 6% of the employee’s total AD&D amount up to $6,000 maximum per academic year. A maximum benefit period of six years and a maximum benefit of $24,000 apply per child.
- Portability: This benefit is portable in the event you leave our employ. Premiums become your responsibility at that time.
Voluntary Life and AD&D Insurance
Macalester offers eligible employees a voluntary life insurance and AD&D insurance through Sun Life Insurance. This plan is paid by you and intended to supplement the provided Basic Life and AD&D Insurance. Contact Employment Services for enrollment and enrollment changes.
Voluntary Life and AD&D Insurance Plan Highlights:
Employees may purchase up to 5 times salary in increments of $10,000 not to exceed $500,000 maximum.
- AD&D coverage for employees only may be purchased separately for amounts up to 5 times salary in increments of $10,000 not to exceed $500,000 maximum.
- New hire employees have a guaranteed issue amount up to $200,000. If employees purchase at least $10,000, there is a guarantee issue up to $200,000 every year during the open enrollment period, pursuant to the terms of our current contract with SunLife Financial.
- Coverage amounts decrease at age 70 and again at age 75.
- Survivor Financial Counseling Services: This plan provides financial counseling to survivors and terminally ill employees at no cost.
- Portability: This coverage is portable should you leave our employ. Certain medical conditions may cancel the portability privilege.
- Accelerated Benefit: If you become terminally ill, you may request up to 50% of the life insurance amount not to exceed $250,000. Some limits apply.
Dependent Life Coverage
- For a flat rate of $4.50 per month employees can cover a spouse and any number of dependent children.
- Spouses are covered by $25,000 of term life insurance.
- Children 6 months to age 25 are covered by $10,000 of term life insurance. Children from birth to 6 months old are covered by $1,000 of term life insurance.
For More Information
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Basic Life & AD&D Benefit Overview
- Supplemental Life & AD&D Benefit Overview
- SunLife Voluntary Life Rates 2010