Oral health is an important component of overall health and well-being. Most dental problems are preventable. Proactive care, including regular check-ups and cleanings, is the key to maintaining good oral health. Problems can be diagnosed early and treated without extensive testing or elaborate and expensive procedures. Additionally, regular dental check-ups may surface other health issues. Macalester offers two dental insurance plan options through Delta Dental.
Macalester employees with a 0.50 FTE or higher are eligible for coverage. Employees may add spouses, registered domestic partners, dependent children up to age 26, as well as other legal dependents. All plan participants must have the same level of coverage, either the Preventive Plan or the Comprehensive Plan.
You can choose any dentist you would like. However, under the dental plans, cost coverage is based on whether your dentist is a Delta Dental PPO, Delta Dental Premier, or Out-of-Network participating dentist.
- “Delta Dental PPO” and “Delta Dental Premier” are networks of providers within Delta Dental. A provider in one of these networks will provide care typically to the full cost benefit allowed under the plan (lower cost to you).
- “Out-of-Network” coverage allows you to see any dentist of your choosing, however at a lower cost benefit level (higher cost to you).
- To review your dentist’s participation level, visit the Delta Dental website and select Find a Dentist.
Plan Coverage Summaries
The Preventive Plan incorporates the most basic level of dental care. Semi-annual cleanings and annual x-rays are included, as well as some sealants. This is ideal for people who have few or no dental/oral health concerns or issues. There is no maximum coverage amount per year.
Service/Feature PPO Delta Premier Out of Network Annual Max Benefit Unlimited Unlimited Unlimited Annual Deductible $0 $0 $0 Diagnostic & Preventive
Exams, cleanings, x-rays, sealants
Covered at 100% Covered at 100% Covered at 100%
The Comprehensive Plan is the more traditional plan. It includes the same benefits as the Preventive Plan, but also includes additional services and coverage, such as fillings, extractions, prosthetics, and orthodontia. This is ideal for people with more complex dental/oral health concerns or issues. There are maximum coverage amounts per covered person per year, based on the network utilized.
Service/Feature PPO Delta Premier Out of Network Annual Max Benefit $2,000 $1,500 $1,000 Annual Deductible
Not applicable to preventive and diagnostic
Diagnostic & Preventive
Exams, cleanings, x-rays, sealants
Covered at 100% Covered at 100% Covered at 100% Basic Services
Fillings, emergency treatment for pain
Covered at 80% Covered at 50% Covered at 50% Endodontics, Periodontics
Covered at 75% Covered at 50% Covered at 50% Oral Surgery
Covered at 75% Covered at 50% Covered at 50% Prosthetics
Dentures, bridges, implants
Covered at 50% Covered at 50% Covered at 0% Major Restoratives
Crowns and crown repairs
Covered at 50% Covered at 50% Covered at 0% Orthodontics
$1,000 lifetime maximum
Covered at 50% Covered at 50% Covered at 0%
The above tables are summaries only. The Certificate of Coverage will be used in case of error and for all claims processing.
Coverage Level Preventive Comprehensive Employee $4.60 $22.00 Employee + 1 $13.20 $54.00 Employee + 2+ $22.20 $90.00
Coverage Level Preventive Comprehensive Employee $4.74 $22.66 Employee + 1 $13.60 $55.62 Employee + 2+ $22.87 $99.70
Please note that these are the monthly rates and may be distributed across bi-weekly payrolls.
The above table is a summary only. The Certificate of Coverage will be used in case of error and for all claims processing.
Creating your online account & accessing your ID card
Creating an online account (Member Portal) with Delta Dental will allow you to:
- See a snapshot of your coverage
- Have quick access to ID card options
- Allow you to go green with paperless Explanation of Benefits (EOBs)
- View the coverage details of anyone under your plan
- See all of your claims – open and paid
- Search claims by member and date
To create on your online account with Delta Dental, follow these steps:
- Visit deltadentalmn.org/members
- Click Access My Secure Portal
- Click Sign up! To create your online account
- Provide the following information, click Proceed to Register, and follow the steps to complete registration:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Social Security Number
- Date of Birth
- Member Type (as the employee, you are the subscriber)
Once you have completed creating your account, you will be able to access and print your ID card through the Member Portal. You can also download the Mobile App to your smartphone to be able to access your ID card electronically. You will use the same username and password for both platforms as they are now Single Sign-On.