An eligible educational institution that receives qualified tuition and related expenses on student’s behalf must furnish Form 1098-T to students. 1098-Ts are used to determine eligibility for claiming the Education Tax Credits on Federal Income Tax returns.
Form 1098-T For Tax Year 2019 Information
2019 Form 1098-T:
Following the same process as in the previous year, the change to institutional reporting requirements under federal law, has been continued in 2019. The federal law requires that we report in Box 1 the amount of QTRE you paid during the year. Prior to 2018, the Form 1098-T included a figure in Box 2 that represented the qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) billed to your student account for the calendar (tax) year.
The amount of payments in Box 1 include payments made by you, payments made by outside parties, credits for scholarships and grants that apply to QTRE, and loans you have taken.
Two things to be aware of in regard to the amount reported in Box 1:
- The total amount of payments reported are calculated using ending carry forward of un-reported charges billed including those from 2018.
- The total amount of payments reported has been reduced by refunds disbursed from your account.
Macalester College is unable to provide you with individual tax advice, but should you have questions, you should seek the counsel of an informed tax preparer or adviser. For more information about Form 1098-T, visit
Electronic Copy For currently enrolled students:
If you are eligible to receive a 1098-T and are a student at Macalester, the form can be retrieved electronically by following one of the two options below.
- Logon to 1600grand using your Macalester username and password.
- Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox browsers work best with the software
- Click on Money Matters
- Below Student Billing Account/Information
- Click on Click on the View/Pay My Bill link
(IRS PDF format).
a) Click on Mac Account Suite.
b) Click on View 1098-T Statement.
c) Click on View to the right of the Tax Year Option.
d) See Helpful Hints below.
Authorized User Access:
Students may authorize persons to access their 1098-T form (IRS PDF format only). If an authorized user does not have access to view the 1098-T form, they should ask their student to grant them permission. To view the form, authorized users should logon to: https://secure.touchnet.com/C23333_tsa/web/login.jsp
Helpful Hints to open 1098T IRS PDF Format
Pop-Up Blockers: Turn off all pop-up blockers so the PDF form can open without difficulty.
PC: a) Do not open/download the PDF in your browser.
b) Instead, save it to your desktop and open it from there.
c) When the form shows blank, there is a compatibility issue which
– Could be with the browser being used
– Could be the browser’s settings
– Could be the version of Adobe Reader (must use version 8.0 or newer)
Macintosh: a) Do not use the Macintosh PDF Program (reader).
b) You must download Adobe Reader (must use version 8.0 or newer)
c) Do not open/download the PDF in your browser.
d) Instead, save it to your desktop.
e) Open Adobe Acrobat and open the PDF from there.
- Viewing PDFs in Adobe Reader
- Viewing PDFs in Apple Safari
- Viewing PDFs in Google Chrome
- Viewing PDFs in Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Viewing PDFs in Mozilla Firefox
Paper copies of 1098-T forms are only mailed to students that are not currently enrolled, have graduated, or have not opted in to receive the electronic copy as their official copy. They will be mailed on or before January 31st. All forms are mailed to the student’s permanent address on file with Macalester College.
1098-T Forms Prior To and Including Tax Year 2011
To retrieve your 1098-T electronically:
- Launch a web browser and go to http://tra.vangent.com
Note: Internet Explorer 9 users may need to use “Compatibility View”
- Click the First Time Students Button.
- Enter your full First and Last names and the last 5 digits of your Social Security Number.
- Click Submit.
- If records are present for you, you will be instructed to create an account. Follow the instructions on the website to create a free account and retrieve your 1098-T. If records are not found for you or you have difficulty creating account, use the “Help” link in the left menu.
- Remember, by acknowledging that you are receiving this form electronically, a hard copy for will not be mailed to you if you retrieve it before the vendor’s print date. However, you can go to the website as often as needed to retrieve a copy.
Who do I contact if I have questions about:
- Accessing the electronic form:
Vangent TRA Services
- Questions about your form information:
Student Accounts Office
Who do I call for help in figuring out if I am eligible?
Macalester College is not qualified to determine if a student qualifies for either the Hope Scholarship or the Lifetime Learning Credit. Students and/or parents should contact the IRS, your tax advisor or other financial advisor for assistance.
Why does the 1098-T Form not list what amounts I’ve paid?
Form 1098-T reports the qualified tuition and related expenses billed to you by the college during the calendar year. Please contact the IRS, your tax advisor or other financial advisor for assistance if you are interested in exploring your opportunities for claiming educational tax credit for qualified tuition or related expenses actually paid during the calendar year.
THIS INFORMATION MUST NOT BE CONSTRUED AS TAX ADVICE.